CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

1st January 2012, 16:57
This is my first Araucaria and I'm just getting adjusted to the style. I know this is a week late, but it looked like a great puzzle so I set it aside. It seemed a bit daunting at first, but it's really not that bad. Almost finished, but was hoping for a couple of nudges. 51a: Reason for cancellation at Newmarket, say? (5) Am I right in assuming it's a homonym for something to do with horses or racing? I thought it might be one of the theme words (Noggs would fit), but I'm drawing a blank. Also, I have skyscraper for 31a: High-rise heaven for 46? (10) and my 46 is Fagin. What's the sense?
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

torquemada

1st January 2012, 17:00
A good reason to have racing cancelled would be if there are no horses, wouldn't it? No GGs! Or the name of a Dickens character, of course.
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

torquemada

1st January 2012, 17:02
Fag (work) in (at home)
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

torquemada

1st January 2012, 17:03
I never understood the word play for "skyscraper" myself.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st January 2012, 17:06
Thanks, Inquisitor. I did get Fagin (and the reason for it); it was skyscraper I wondered about. Re GG: ignorance. What does it mean besides good game? Is it a Brit thing? Since I thought it might be Noggs I looked it up, but haven't found an explanation.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

torquemada

1st January 2012, 17:07
In English English a geegee is a childish name for a horse.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

torquemada

1st January 2012, 17:08
In English English a geegee is a childish name for a horse.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st January 2012, 17:10
I had no idea! Why thank you. You may return to your rack and fingernail wedges now (the childish Yankee name for the latter is yowyows).
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st January 2012, 21:26
Well I've got SKYSCRAPER too - can anyone explain why please?
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st January 2012, 21:35
Tee hee Aristo, you say:

This is my first Araucaria and I'm just getting adjusted to the style.

Well I've been doing (or often attempting) them for years but I don't think I'll EVER get adjusted to his style because the old devil changes it as often as Matron changes her apron. He's a bit wicked cos he often uses Scottish words like "lum" for chimney or perhaps "loch" for lake but he's always entertaining and keeps me on my feet!

A site you may find interesting, if you don't already know of it is

http://fifteensquared.net/

As it's a prize crossword, the answers won't appear for 7 days but the bloggers are "top drawer" and well worth a look.

En passant, our Norwegian pussies are growing apace and we're due to collect them from the UK mid-February. Means a 'plane journey from Jersey but I'm sure they'll be worth it!

10 of 18  -   Report This Post