CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

apple

27th December 2011, 14:35
I am stuck on just 2 in the Guardian Christmas crossword: 51 across and 44 down - i am sure the latter must have WAN reversed in there (turn pale) Help appreciated.
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

brackendale

27th December 2011, 14:40
44 Down is BENGAW (fictional character following the theme of the crossword) and 51 Across is NOGGS (i.e. no gee gee s at Nerwmarket) Another fictional character
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

brackendale

27th December 2011, 14:41
Sorry, there was a typo!

I should have written BEGNAW
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

apple

27th December 2011, 14:52
Thanks Brackendale ... my day is made!
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

torquemada

27th December 2011, 15:16
A little correction:

44d is not[/bt a Dickensian character at all - there is no such character in all his works. The clue is a proper cryptic clue to the word "begnaw" which means "eat away", and has both wordplay and a definition. The clues to Dickensian characters in this crossword only have the wordplay part of the clue.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th December 2011, 16:05
I've just taken the "Dickens Companion" off the shelf. There are so many characters who are not listed on Wikipedia.
However, no sign of a Begnaw.
Nearest is Mrs Ridger Begs (Miss Emma Micawber as was) in David Copperfield.
Book now dusted, along with the others and put back in its place
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

brackendale

27th December 2011, 16:14
Yes, it was my mistake.

I got the solution from the clue and just assumed it was another fictional character - it certainly sounds like it! And I have never heard of of the verb "begnaw" but I now see it lurkung in my Chambers Dictionary.

I will have to try and use it!!
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th December 2011, 16:20
An admirable New Year's resolution would be to dust one's whole battery of Dickens novels (even if one can't read them all every year, which certainly is the case if you're, say, "recycling" Trollope). I ought to be embarrassed to admit that when I pull an old favo(u)rite off the shelf I have to take it outside to remove the thick layer of melancholy neglect.
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th December 2011, 16:30
I've a sneeking suspicion that Auracaria was secretly hoping there would be a character with that name. Quite a mousy or ratty type!
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

brackendale

27th December 2011, 16:35
We too have a complete set of Charles Dickens novels gathering dust in our loft.
However, as you can now buy his complete works for just 99 pence (cheaper than a duster!) on a Kindle I think next time I try a Dickens themed crossword I'll just pay the 99 pence.
10 of 13  -   Report This Post