CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phillip

26th December 2011, 20:16
I am very pleased to note that my entry.....

crazy car thief takes a second and kills small dogs in aristo's garden (9).

won last week's set a "fishercat" cryptic clue.

good luck to everybody for next week.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

sallyw

26th December 2011, 20:21
Well done phillip!
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 20:21
Your post brings to mind a favorite New Yorker cartoon from many years ago. A man is reclining on an analyst's couch, and the analyst is writing on his tablet: "Totally nuts".
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 20:30
Sorry, phillip, just being petty. I really felt that my entry, "Reach fist in mangling jaws for svelte companion," was a winner.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

phillip

26th December 2011, 20:32
firstly, the word you are groping for is "favourite" not favorite.

my favourite newspaper cartoon was from (quite a few years ago) when BMW bought up rover (virtually the last british car manufacturer).........

a german is leaning over a desk at which a slightly cowed britisher is sat. the german is saying..... for you tommy, car production is over.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 20:38
Another favo(u)rite: A Japanese couple is sitting cross-legged on the floor of a room whose only furnishing is a small pot, also on the floor. The wife says to the husband, "I went to my sister's today. They have two pots."
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

phillip

26th December 2011, 20:38
but perhaps the british press reached its zenith when in an important football match germany beat england by a single goal scored by the german substitute. the headline in the Sun was.....

ENGLAND SUNK BY KRAUT SUB.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 20:47
Love it. Speaking of headlines, recently the only openly gay member of Congress (Barney Frank) announced his retirement, and many newspapers made reference to his "open seat".
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

phillip

26th December 2011, 21:15
Aristo, we've got lots of politicians who are gay, but not nearly so many who admit to being so. over here lots of gay encounters take place late at night in parks,woodland,building sites, etc. essentially the idea seems to be to "bump into" a complete stranger and...well,I'll leave the gory details to your imagination.

what makes me laugh is how often when some public figure is caught in a park sans trousers late at night he claims to be there purely for the purpose of looking for badgers.

the above comments refer only to male gays. like most men I have only positive feelings about female ones.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 21:38
The same thing goes on over here, but I must say I've never heard the badger line. I'm sure that fisher cats have pulled a surprise every now and then (ouch). My favorite excuse was from a US Senator who, apparently while standing at a urinal, tapped the foot of the guy next to him in an airport men's room (supposedely a standard invitatory signal). He claimed that there was a misunderstanding, and said he just had "a wide stance".
10 of 10  -   Report This Post