CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

12th August 2009, 19:20
The numero uno of compilers, Araucaria, has been tough as usual in his latest puzzle and I am racking my brain to solve one or two, especially the clue "Edoverth!" This is probably a made-up word and there is, maybe, some anagrammatical involvement. Can some kind soul please help?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

terry

12th August 2009, 19:26
Did the numero uno of compilers give even a teeny weeny clue as to how many letters in the answer.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th August 2009, 19:51
Hi Paul.

Edoverth! ... is 'ed' over 'th' ... or ... 'th' under 'ed' = 'THUNDERED.

JimC
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

terry

12th August 2009, 20:14
JimC,
Are you gifted with second sight. Or did you happen to know that the answer consists of nine letters and the given letters are T?U?D?R?D. With thundered being the only possible word that fits.

Why do we provide answers when people don't give number of letters etc.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th August 2009, 20:26
I didn't know the letters given but I did look up how many letters the answer had to be (=9).

The ! of Edoverth! made me think that 'thundered' might be right (of course, it may yet prove to be a wrong answer).

JimC
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

terry

12th August 2009, 20:39
JimC,
I think you know very well that "thundered" is right. As it must be with the given letters. Of course, once you know the answer the explanation of it is straight-forward

Don't you think we should encourage people to give the number of letters,etc. To the point of not giving answers unless they do.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

12th August 2009, 20:48
There's also the fact that this clue has already been answered in Sue's thread of Aug 8th...
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th August 2009, 20:51
Sorry.

I had no idea about any given letters and thought that maybe your T?U?D?R?D a couple of posts back was just an example of what might have been available to us if Paul already knew them.

Funny old clue though.

JimC
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th August 2009, 20:56
Thanks Bullfrog.

I didn't know that it had already been answered.

JimC
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th August 2009, 21:17
Terry.

Sorry; your questions:

"Don't you think we should encourage people to give the number of letters,etc." ... Yes, I do, absolutely.
"To the point of not giving answers unless they do." ... Not really; I try to help with whatever's given.

So ... Message to people posting clues on this website...

GIVE US ALL THE INFORMATION RIGHT AT THE OUTSET PLEASE and don't make us ask for it.

BW.
JimC
10 of 11  -   Report This Post