CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

robtherich

10th August 2009, 21:30
...of ever winning? This forum proves there are loads of cleverclogs afoot, all submitting perfect answers. Add to you lot the mute remainder and there must be thousands who submit. Any guesses how many thousands? I wanna win that DVD recorder (RT)
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

robtherich

10th August 2009, 21:35
Just occurred to me this may have been covered in a previous thread. Life's too short to check. Mea culpa.
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

trevor

10th August 2009, 21:41
what is "mute remainder"? (an honest question - silent majority ?).

Oh! and a perfect answer, please.
(in my world, a perfect answer is, Oh go on then, but hurry up)
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

campanilla

10th August 2009, 21:41
Oh have you come to the right place!!! You need to call on John from Arran, our resident mathematical genius, he will tell you in about five seconds flat that the odds are that you probably have a 0.0000000000000000000001 chance of ever being able to use any sort of DVD recorder unless you take your hard earned money down the nearest Dixons or wherever and buy one.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

10th August 2009, 21:45
Shouldn't this question be in the "Poser of the Day" thread? Anyway, do a quick bit of arithmetic and work out how many second class stamps you have to buy to pay for a DVD recorder! Probably about 600 or so, which works out at about 30 years worth of RT crosswords. Can you afford to wait that long? In the style of a true politician I have chosen not to answer your question, but to pose several of my own and then not answer those either. Too much Radio 4 methinks.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

robtherich

10th August 2009, 21:51
Oooh slap my wrist: yes, perfect answer is redundant ) I was thinking of those of us who slip some smudgy bits in where we're not quite sure, and hope to get away with it). I think. As for winning a particular thingy, that was a flippant addition - I've scored The Observer and (first time of trying) IOS, but I think the q is still valid. John from Arran may have the stats (someone said the chances of winning the lottery are the same whether you enter or not) but: what's the entry rate. Like ruffly?
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

robtherich

10th August 2009, 21:55
And I've already got A DVD recorder...
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

10th August 2009, 22:01
This is a good question which has never been answered on this forum. One or two people have said they have won, some more than once, but nobody has been able to say how many people enter any particular crossword. I have been sending crosswords in, on and off, for 35 years and have never won once. My guess is that tens of thousands of people enter the popular crosswords. Has anyone worked for a newspaper and have an idea how many people do actually enter?
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

robtherich

10th August 2009, 22:07
Oh, Alchemist, I now feel bad about boasting two wins in a couple of years... I was just thinking of a third and then I can put the resultant unsent postage towards some socks for the grandchildren...
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

robtherich

10th August 2009, 22:12
...Hell, four socks each, it adds up
10 of 15  -   Report This Post