CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

13th December 2011, 02:03
Morning all,

Just been checking the TV guide and their is a programme starting in a half hour called "How to solve a cryptic crossword". It's starts at 2:30am til 3:30am on BBC4 (channel 9 on Freeview).
It mentions that Don Manley is presenting it (Sunday Times Compiler), so I thought it would be worth a viewing for anybody who isn't asleep.
For anyone who misses this message, I'll post some feedback tomorrow on whether it was any good, in case it's repeated at a later date.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th December 2011, 08:13
Thanks for that les40 - I'm going to catch it later on bbc iplayer, along with the 2 Only Connect shows that were on last night too.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

andyc

13th December 2011, 13:11
Thank you Les just finished watching it on i player. It was very interesting.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

andyc

13th December 2011, 13:15

jazzgirl

13th December 2011, 13:51
Les40 thank you for spotting that programme
and thanks andyc for the link.
I am just about to watch it and hope for some inspiration.
J
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th December 2011, 16:26
Just watched it - it was very good especially the Two Ronnies solving crosswords! Didn't realise "Don" set so many crosswords either.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

les40

13th December 2011, 22:25
It was interesting to see the faces behind the many names that we encounter whilst pursuing our favoured pastime. I was happy to see that Don Manley uses the same software as me to produce his grids (Anthony Lewis from USA)and that it's also him behind all those names that I've now learnt can be proceeded by his own first name "Don", that is Quixote, Giovanni, Juan, etc.
I didn't really get what Tim Moorhey (Mephisto) was doing with the "Crossword Doctor" standard on the railway station.
John Graham (Araucaria) seemed a pleasent chap and Colin Dexter spoke well.
It was good to see Phil Jordan adding his bit.
Interesting too, to hear how Jonathan Crowther (Azed) had inherited his role as compiler
Kate Fassett, I felt didn't really know much about the actual skill involved in solving wordplay.
Thanks to andyc for the direct link and I hope you were inspired jazzgirl, and sudokulover, what can I say my friend - Ronnie Barker, a true gent and wizard of humorous wordplay.

Ps. Forgot to mention Roger Squires (Rufus)
Did Roger Squires compile crosswords for The Yorkshire Post years ago ?
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

oblib

13th December 2011, 22:32
watched this an hour ago,an hour well spent!.thanks for the link les40.Oblib sdrager.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th December 2011, 23:17
Enjoyed the program very much, thank you. Loved the Two Ronnies bit. Grit indeed!! genius
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

ixion

14th December 2011, 01:58
Thanks for the link Les40...think that two ronnies sketch was a past Clueless prize.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post