CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

max'smum

22nd November 2011, 10:52
What does "broadcast" mean when in a clue? Thanks!
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

rambler

22nd November 2011, 10:57
Homophone indicator
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd November 2011, 10:58
I HomophonesHomophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings, such as "night" and "knight". Homophone clues always have an indicator word or phrase that has to do with phonetics, such as "reportedly", "they say", "utterly" (here treated as "utter(ing)-ly" and not with its usual meaning), "vocal", "to the audience", "by the sound of it", "is heard" and "on the radio". "Broadcast" is a particularly devious indicator as it could indicate either a homophone or an anagram.

An example of a homophone clue is

We hear twins shave (4)
which is a clue for PARE, which means "shave" and is a homophone of pair, or "twins". The homophone is indicated by "we hear".

If the two words are the same length, the clue should be phrased in such a way that only one of them can be the answer. This is usually done by having the homophone indicator adjacent to the word that is not the definition; therefore, in the previous example, "we hear" was adjacent to "twins" and the answer was pare rather than pair. The indicator could come between the words if they were of different lengths and the enumeration was given, such as in the case of "right" and "rite".

3 of 14  -   Report This Post

andyc

22nd November 2011, 10:58
Can be either an anagram or homophone indicator.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

max'smum

22nd November 2011, 11:00
Thank you so much!
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

rambler

22nd November 2011, 11:04
Hi jazzgirl and Andy. My Chambers does not give 'broadcast' as an anagram indicator- what do you think?
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd November 2011, 11:08
Hi rambler
as you can tell, I copied and pasted from wikipedia, but it was a bit long-winded !
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

rambler

22nd November 2011, 11:10
It's just that we use Chambers as our 'Bible' and I'm confused.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

andyc

22nd November 2011, 11:14
Rambler mine does that why I put it in.
My version is the Chambers Crossword Dictionary and it makes reference to being twice republished in 2008.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd November 2011, 11:16
I agree that broadcast "sounds as though " it should be related to homophones only, but broadcast can also mean scattered, so logically (although not in Chambers) the letters could be scattered and so anagrammed. But I am fairly new to cryptics (only started a few months back) so I am only giving my humble opinion ;)
10 of 14  -   Report This Post