CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 16:50
Got to this one late. Very well crafted but rather easy to complete. Nonetheless I have two questions. For 6: Modernized graves when sited in Scottish islands (8) I have INCHASES (AS inside INCHES), but I can't find the definition (or rather the OED definition doesn't work). I'm assuming it's supposed to mean engraves or something. Also, for 9: Chequered clothing well explored in range once (8) I have DISPACED but am drawing a blank regarding the wordplay.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

the joker

21st November 2011, 17:00
Chase is to engrave or decorate metal,but the vt seems to be Enchase.
TJ
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

21st November 2011, 17:02
Azed makes no sense to me,but to let you know there is a Scottish island called Inchcolm, which is probably no use to you what so ever...
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 17:14
Yoohoo, TJ and pastille! It has to be an I to fit in with YERSINIA. I assumed it meant INCHES (Sc islands) with AS (for when) inside. Very hard to get on this site lately- takes forever for pages to load, and sometimes it says "Done" when there's nothing but the banner.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

peterm

21st November 2011, 17:14
8 Chequered = diced. Well = spa. Dispaced (diced "clothing" spa) is Spenserian for "to range about" (Chambers)
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

tony

21st November 2011, 17:15
Dispaced - Range

SPA - well in DICED - chequered
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

peterm

21st November 2011, 17:17
Should add that inchases is an alternative spelling of enchases.
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

the joker

21st November 2011, 17:21
Diced= ornamented with a chequered patters'
Spa = well
Dispace = to range about.
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 17:38
This site is driving me nuts. I could see "peterm" like a tantalizing bunch of grapes (nothing personal; you know what I mean) that I couldn't reach (I know- that's redundant). You'd swear there was an ocean between us. Anyway, pity the poor untutored Yank. I guess it was the tense that bewildered me. I can see dispace, but is it dispaced because the definition is EXPLORED in range once?
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

21st November 2011, 17:54
I assumed so,yes.
10 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED 2060