CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

peg y don

18th November 2011, 10:05
Unicorn for 9 ac but logic escapes me
U-I-o-n ulster pariah returned without a top fixer
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

max'smum

18th November 2011, 10:24
Hairpin
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

peg y don

18th November 2011, 11:41
no wonder i couldn't fathom. I had suntan for 7 down so whats 7 down then?
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

peg y don

18th November 2011, 11:45
IM ALSO WONDERING NOW IF TRAINEE IS RIGHT FOR SORT OF APPRENTICE OUT OF COLLEGE VERY QUIET
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyc

18th November 2011, 11:49
Peg you've got to take out the c for college and the pp for very quiet from apprentice. That leaves the trainee. Hope this explains it.

Andy
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyc

18th November 2011, 11:50
7d) is photon. n for normal after photo for exposure.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

peg y don

18th November 2011, 11:57
Yes it does, it seems I get the answers but more by luck. I'm still trying to fathom that containment indicator thing. Can you give an example. I have looked at Big Daves site but its a bit wordy
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

andyc

18th November 2011, 12:13
I've copied this one:
Clue: Saw dog wearing lead (7)

(Wearing is the containment indicator in the clue.)

To solve this requires "Rover" for dog to be placed inside "lead" in this case the metal's abbreviation pb. This gives proverb which is another word for Saw which was what the setter was after.

I hope this explains what a containment indicator is. I'm relatively new to all this stuff myself. Someone else might do it better. There are loads of these indicator words for anagrams, when to insert,when to delete,when to use first and last letter to name but a few. This Chambers Crossword Dictionary which I have has helped me quite a bit.

Andy
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

bernie

18th November 2011, 15:28
Busy again peg? I've just ordered a copy of Chambers from Amazon. I'm fairly new to cryptics myself, seems to be the dictionary to go for! Happy solving.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Dm thurs