CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lionheart

4th November 2011, 15:26
Hi folks. I set myself the challenge of compiling a puzzle in which each solution begins with a different letter of the alphabet. I got there in the end!

Available in an interactive online version or as downloadable pdf files from my Dropbox folder for printing:

Interactive online:

http://crossword.info/Lionheart/Cryptic_0012_Alphabetical

PUZZLE (pdf):

http://db.tt/xATvGuLU

SOLUTION (pdf): CAREFUL! Clicking link will make solution appear on screen!

http://db.tt/oyRbl8jU

Enjoy :)
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

4th November 2011, 15:48
Thanks I'll try it over weekend and let you know how I get on
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

4th November 2011, 15:54
Cheers DJA, hope you like it. All feedback, good or bad, gratefully received :)
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

4th November 2011, 16:33
First word of clue 11 has been corrected!
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

5th November 2011, 16:22
Hello, Lionheart! I'm trying your puzzle and don't want to look at the solution, but that's perhaps beside the point. In 9a, where does ADY come from- or do I have it wrong? Also, in 21 and 22d, what's the significance of "24"?
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

5th November 2011, 17:37
Hey aristo, thanks for giving it a go!

9a: You've got the right answer, 'Now' is AD and (hopefully) 'Unknown' is Y (mathemetics).

21&22: There's no real link between them and 24, it just so happened that using the answer to 24 (in it's animal form!) in the clues to 21&22 seemed to work.

I hope that makes sense and that the puzzle is fair!

Cheers :)
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

5th November 2011, 18:14
Ah! Excellent. Completed- beneath a disrobing Quercus alba in North America (in case you're tallying continents). Only two queries. I don't quite get the wordplay in 2d, and I have the past tense for 21d while you have the present in your solution (misprint?)- also was misled by its not being pointed out that it's a two-word answer. Oh! And I assume there's some correlation between NY and disaster, and though I'm not fond of New York I didn't think that's what you meant. Excellent clues, Lionheart. Very much enjoyed it.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

lionheart

5th November 2011, 18:37
Good work :)

19d: oops! you're right it should be (3,3)

2d: A bit convoluted I agree. I was playing with '5 or 10%' or 'Es and Fs' but went for 'less than half' as the definition and a take on 'Depressed men' as the cryptic part. I was also hoping to excuse myself with a '?' at the end ;)

21d: I think you might have the wrong answer. It's definitely one word and it is the past tense as indicated by 'did' in the clue.

You can always check any solutions with the 'check' button to the left (self restraint encouraged!)

Glad to see my puzzle make it across the pond :)
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

5th November 2011, 18:40
Sorry! Meant 19d.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

5th November 2011, 18:43
So shouldn't it be GOT rather than GET? And is it Mandy minus NY?
10 of 16  -   Report This Post