CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

neilm

31st October 2011, 18:28
I asked the four young children who have just knocked my door what 'Trick or Treat' was all about. They didn't know, were all still in school uniforms and had no answer.
Why is this any different to demanding money with menaces? I apologise to my American friends where the practice may have more meaning and history to their young, but I do not see the relevance off having an egg thrown at your front door in Bromley!
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

paul

31st October 2011, 18:31
sounds like demanding money with menages!
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

sallyw

31st October 2011, 18:48
I'm just ignoring the doorbell!
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st October 2011, 19:01
NeilM: You needn't apologize to your American friends; the once endearing observance has really gone over the top. During our constitutional a few nights ago my wife and I heard steadily loudening organ music (Bach!), and we eventually arrived at a house whose front yard was filled with several thousand dollars' worth of ghoulish displays (including a hideous animated phantom playing said Bach). I once read how much we Yankees spend on Halloween, and I must have intentionally filed it away too far from the front of my mind to be able to recall it. The other problem is the freakishly suggestive costumes young girls wear (we use the term "prostitots" over here). Yet another fine custom in the "degenerated" column.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

31st October 2011, 19:10
In Scotland trick or treating is called guising and when my children were young (20 years ago) I spent HOURS making costumes, peter pan, bertie bassett, spaceman etc. They then went guising i.e. visited friends and neighbours where they did their "turn" and received sweets, nuts and apples in return. The neighbours' children did the same. Happy, simple fun. Now I don't answer the door, they have no costumes, no "turns" and all they want is money. Yes, your house would be egged if you offered them sweets. It's all very sad. What went wrong?
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

31st October 2011, 19:22
Up in the north-east here we have just had the guisers round dressed as witches and warlocks. They didn't say a poem or sing a song and wanted "money for The Guy" which was quite a well made scarecrow which they were pushing round in a buggie. Their Mums were watching them from a parked car. Aberdonians are too careful with their money to waste eggs !
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

31st October 2011, 19:29
Julie, at least they had put a bit of effort into it and hadn't just arrived in a mask from Asda demanding money. Still, it's not the same is it? Although it was a nightmare each year coming up with something new and more elaborate than the year before. Peter Pan was a major mistake. All these leaves cut out of green felt and then the little sod refused to wear the green tights!
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

pastille

31st October 2011, 19:30
Yup...it's guising in Dundee, and I always ask them to do a wee "turn"...OR no sweeties for you!

Don't think I have ever been actually asked for money for guising. But "a penny for the guy"=fireworks night will be next week!

8 of 15  -   Report This Post

sallyw

31st October 2011, 19:37
The best guy I ever saw was outside to local shop about 2 years ago. The two little boys who were with it had obviously made a real effort, none of that "old clothes stuffed with newspaper" nonsense. it was almost lifelike! I gave them my change, and complimented them on the brilliant guy, when to my consternation it began to move and cry. They'd took their baby borther, dressed him up and put a mask on him, and sneaked him out of the house! 10 out of 10 for using initiative!
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

31st October 2011, 19:54
Hi tennielink, Sally and Pastille
I'm still laughing at the little sod who refused to wear the green tights !! Pastille I thought you'd be exhausted with "listening very carefully I'll say this only once" - does that mean you have been "let off" today and are finished with the Court. Sallyw - well what can I say ... I thought you'd be lying in a darkened room by now. BTW I was so disgusted with Tonbridge Wells I contacted the moderator last evening and said something like "Any chance of getting rid of this post ? It's rather a hurtful comment to make when we know what helpful contributors these people have been to this site in the past, especially as this particular thread has been created for chat not insults. Someone with multiple indentities perhaps ?

I honestly did expect anything to come of it after all it's their site and they can run it as they see fit but got a very nice reply saying "I have deleted the thread in question and thanks for drawing it to our attention.

Pastille you have a lot of reading to do.
Cheers
Julie
10 of 15  -   Report This Post