CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bun

27th October 2011, 14:59
Last two!

13 ac (Group commander at time when there was offensive in Vietnam) (5) I have O-T-T . Presumably OCTET, but the wordplay defeats me....

23d (Channel succeeded, having quality) (6). I have -T-A-T.
STRAIT, I imagine, but again why...?

Help, please!
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

phillip

27th October 2011, 15:04
group = octet. oc = commander, + tet (major vietcong push in vietnam war which effectively finished the USa.

s(succeed) + trait (quality).
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

phillip

27th October 2011, 15:31
meant to add that it was called the tet offensive because it took place at tet - the vietnamese new year. (1968 I think).
USA had divided Vietnam into 50 administrative "provinces". On the eve of the offensive 49 of them told USA HQ in Saigon that everything was peaceful and no real trouble expected. The 50th said there was a rumour that something might be happening.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

bun

27th October 2011, 15:37
Thank you, Phillip. The Vietnamese history element was new to me......
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

r ambler

27th October 2011, 16:02
Hi Phillip
In January 2010 Mrs mog and I visited Vietnam, arriving in Hanoi and departing from Saigon. We visited Hue on our travels and the Citadel still bears the scars of the battle. We are booked to fly to Cambodia on New Year's Eve, another country with a tragic histoty,
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

phillip

27th October 2011, 16:27
Hello Mog,I hope you and your wife have a great time and I'm sure that you will.

Depending how you look at it or which side you are on there can't be many countries that don't have a tragic history.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

r ambler

27th October 2011, 16:33
Thank's for your good wishes, Phillip and I'm sure you're right about tragic histories. Have you seen the film 'The Killing Fields'?
7 of 7  -   Report This Post