CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

toastcake

30th July 2009, 10:57
Just need a little more help guys
1. Oh, nothing from America 4 letters ?c??
2. Conquest worked out on Mars! 6 letters ???a?s
Thanks
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

30th July 2009, 11:18
2. Conquest worked out on Mars! 6 letters ???a?s

I think this must be ROMANS - anagram of "on Mars".
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

jimb

30th July 2009, 11:21
Toastcake

2. Romans? Anagram of on mars, bit vague

JimB
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

toastcake

30th July 2009, 11:21
Thank you The Alchemist that fits perfectly
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th July 2009, 11:30
The 'romans' clue seems pretty weak to me, except that Mars was the Roman god of war and - better - 'romans' is an anagram of 'on Mars'. I had hoped initially that the answer might have been 'Norman' (conquest), but 'romans' works, I suppose.

Could the answer to the first clue be 'nada' (i.e. a non-cryptic clue) or is the 'c' certain?

JimC
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

toastcake

30th July 2009, 11:41
Well Jim C the c has now become an e so I think the clue Oh, nothing from America could be Zero?
what do you think so then romans would sit better, but as you said it is a bit vague
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th July 2009, 11:52
Hi again TC.

I'm not sure what to think.
I can see that 'zero' fits part of the clue, but a full explanation escapes me.

JimC
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

campanilla

30th July 2009, 12:35
Hi JimC and Toastcake, there is an explanation that comes to mind to explain "zero" as being the answer to Oh, nothing from America. There was a proposal, I think by President Reagan but don't quote me on that, called "zero option" which basically was a proposal to limit the deployment of nuclear missiles if the opposing side agreed. Hope this helps.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th July 2009, 14:44
Thanks for that Campanilla.

Although I think the connection you suggest is quite tenuous, it is a straw well-clutched.

Anyway, there have been several 'zero' initiatives out of America (California's Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Mandate, New York's 'zero tolerance' policing initiative etc...).

Now wondering if the answer isn't 'zero' (unlikely), that the clue is a bit rubbish (likely) or that there's a clever and obvious explanation for 'zero' that we've missed (absolutely & entirely improbable)?

Are there any other crossing letters other than second letter 'e'?

I was so hoping that the answer might be (Ca)nada, but that seems destined not to be.

Best Wishes.
JimC
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

celadon

30th July 2009, 14:59
Help or hinderance?

'American' negative is nope.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post