CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor001

29th July 2009, 15:53
According to Matthew Pinsent, what do rowers throw away at the start of a race?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th July 2009, 10:05
Hi Trevor,

After I saw your post yesterday afternoon, I started re-reading Pinsent's 'A Lifetime In A Race' to see whether I could find that quotation for you but, 262 pages later, I haven't got an answer!

When do you need to know by?

Regards,

Caravaggio
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor001

30th July 2009, 10:21
Thanks so much for trying, I need to know by Sunday, as it has to be posted before I go on holiday.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

bull

30th July 2009, 10:35
do they throw down a challenge to their competitors?
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th July 2009, 18:14
Hi Trevor,

I hope that this is the answer! "A last chance to check everything. Water bottles are jettisoned onto the bank, rigger nuts squeezed to check they won't rattle [I have a small spanner in case there's a problem]. The mind goes crazy..."

That, verbatim, is how Pinsent describes the prelude to the Sydney Olympic final which, of course, the GB crew won and he won his fourth gold medal; Redgrave won his fifth.

Good luck,

Caravaggio
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

jeta

30th July 2009, 19:42
I think the answer is spanner, they take a spanner onto the boat as a last minute precaution in case of any problems with their rowlocks which is thrown away before the race to minimise weight in the boat. There is a specific size, I think it may be 3/8" but worth a check. Hope this helps!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor001

30th July 2009, 19:46
Thanks so so so much Caravaggio for all your help.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor001

30th July 2009, 19:47
Thanks also jeta, I just could not find anything.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post