CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lionheart

11th October 2011, 15:55
After a busy couple of weeks I finally found time to get stuck in to putting together another cryptic puzzle:

http://crossword.info/Lionheart/Cryptic_0006

My earlier efforts can be found here:

http://crossword.info/Lionheart

All feedback very welcome. Enjoy!
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th October 2011, 16:15
Among my last is "Angry cheat" : ?U??
Any ideas?
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th October 2011, 18:16
Angry: this is the more obscure of the two synonyms, as in "it makes me ****" or "to **** with anger"
Cheat: verb which to be fair is more often used in the past tense in this case, as in I got..(cheated)

Hope this helps and thanks for giving it a go :)
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th October 2011, 18:20
As my first appeal seems to have fallen on stony ground,here the others I can make no progress on (the letters given are pretty certain,I think):
1a Sit-in-the-mud trimmed sailor's horse:???R?B
13a Make face at horse before tack becomes headless: ?U?N
27a Horse's behind replacing tail with love: L?S?N? ---- losing?why?
2d Test uninitiated mountain: ??A? ---oral/ural?
8d Announced game on a horse:B?U?O?N?I?
Surely I can't be the only one stuck here???
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th October 2011, 18:22
Thank you,Lionheart: I was thinking that anyway! Now for the other 5(our postings crossed)!
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th October 2011, 18:43
haha...no prob.

1a: Another word for Stick-in-the-mud with the edges removed (trimmed) plus two letters signifying sailor makes a type of horse

13a: Make face is your definition. One letter signifying horse plus first letter off (headless) another word for tack (nothing to do with horses!)

27a: You're almost there, replace last letter (tail)of what you have with a letter signifying love in crossword speak for a horse breed.

2d: One of your suggestions is correct ;)
Type of test or exam with first letter removed (uninitiated) for mountain.

8d: Difficult I grant you! Horse breed sounds the same as (announced) French throwing game on a. I can't give you much more for that one really.

Again, hope this helps without giving too much away ;)

6 of 12  -   Report This Post

r ambler

12th October 2011, 19:07
Hi ,gk. I'm sure you've got 2d. Do you still want 13a?
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th October 2011, 21:05
Yes please,mog;and all I can get for 1a is that it ends in RAB (don't feel like taking on the complete list of horse types I found).
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th October 2011, 21:32
greedy kite, are you doing it online? Because if so, you can use the REVEAL button to the left for any words you're stuck on :)

13a is GURN - G (horse) on URN(tack=turn, headless)

1a is QUARAB - Stick-in-the-mud trimmed is (S)QUAR(E), sailor is AB as you correctly said.

The next one I'm working on is a Jumbo 25x25 grid which doesn't require the Wikipedia page on horse breeds for solving ;)
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th October 2011, 21:34
sorry for the uncontrolled bold type above!
10 of 12  -   Report This Post