CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quizmad

11th October 2011, 15:21
which footballer scored the last football league goal of the 20 th century (5 9)
a clue would be really appreciated.
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

11th October 2011, 17:00
December saw a rise in the team's fortunes completing the month in 6th position.Along the way they had to play in Shrewsbury's away strip when the referee deemed both strips were too alike and Chris Priest's 90th minute goal in the 2-1 win over Carlisle was officially recognised as the last Football League goal to be scored in the millennium.
The club received a loan of £60,000 from the PFA to cover players' wages but with the stipulation that no new signings would be permitted until the loan had been repaid.

The above has been copied and pasted from Macclesfield Town FC's website and, of course, doesn't fit the number of letters you have for the player's name. I stumbled across this because the answer isn't easy to find and I have used various football reference books from my library - and Google.

On one site, the debate continues as to whether the old millennium finished in 1999 or 2000 because the answer given for 2000 is Darren Huckerby, who was then playing for Manchester City...
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

11th October 2011, 17:04
From Wikipedia:

Chris Priest (born 18 October 1973, Leigh) is a former English professional footballer who is believed to have scored the final Football League goal of the 20th Century when playing for Macclesfield Town.[1]
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

quizmad

11th October 2011, 18:43
Thanks caravaggio,got it now.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

suki

18th October 2011, 11:31
Haven't got a clue on this one. Can some kind soul point me in the right direction please? I've Googled like mad without success. The surname begins with L.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » football