CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

1st October 2011, 03:48
Fun again!Just one query:6d The "met man" referred to is presumably the one with the name that sounds like the first (alphabetically)of the two possible words meaning "a crowd" that would fit the letters given by the across solutions?Sorry to formulate my question in such a complicated way,but I don't want to give anything away,and am assuming enough people will soon be familiar with the puzzle in its entirety,so that I don't have to quote the clue properly,either!To put it much more simply,do others think the second letter is an E or an O, and why exactly?Have googled,but still not quite sure!Will try to put my next question here more simply---promise!And many thanks in advance for any explanations offered!
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt1

1st October 2011, 08:54
For me, the only possible word is the one with the second letter o - but I don't get the wordplay either
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

1st October 2011, 09:07
I notice there is no reply to a q on the same clue on the other forum!BUT a 3rd possibility might be 2nd letter U,since Hurd was the first name of a US met man famous for the 5-day forecast (easy to google under meteorologist)--but then why no final E?This is really annoying,as I have to get my solution off here earlier than those of you in the UK! SO any other contributions?Might as well reveal all now:clue is "Met man that might have been a crowd" 5 letters.We both presumably have H?R?E.The alternatives could be HERDE/HORDE/HURDE.It can't be that the beloved A. has actually committed an error,can it?Still hopeful of a speedy solution.....
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

big dave

1st October 2011, 09:40
What about that it sounds like whored?

Who is the setter?
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt1

1st October 2011, 09:45
The greatest - Araucaria
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

1st October 2011, 10:00
Thought of "whored" as well, but how can that help? In the meantime BTW I've actually mailed a query to A. himself,but imagine he won't answer quickly --- or will he,judging by your experience?
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

tony

1st October 2011, 11:02
H Orde could be Sir Hugh Orde of the Metropolitan Police.
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt1

1st October 2011, 11:07
Thank you, Tony.
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

eboyd

1st October 2011, 11:36
6d does indeed refer to Sir Hugh Orde
(ie H ORDE)
but he is not 'of the Metropolitan Police.'
As the clue says: "Met man that might have been."
He was one of 4 people interviewed for the post of Commissioner of the Met but he didn't get the job.
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

twm

1st October 2011, 11:38
Could someone give me a clue to 8a) Crime brings one of her own to Germany (5), please? I Have F????
10 of 22  -   Report This Post