CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

28th August 2011, 23:19
Hi, Friends,

Can I ask for your views on a couple, please?

1 down. German letter English use to stop escape....(4) ?u?e

2 down. ....stop the running out (6) ?n?i?g

What I think, so far, is Mure and Ending. Mure being a sort of prison, like being walled in, and Ending -stop and running out of something.

Can anyone come up with something a bit more believable, please?

(You see, Magworth, Pipesmoker doesn't have all the answers. He is a bit of a thicko at times).

Many thanks, one and all.

P
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

def

28th August 2011, 23:34
Wonder if 1d might be dune? German = D, letter (a in french) = UN, English = E. A dune might prevent escape of water onto dry land. I'm not really convinced, though!!
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

28th August 2011, 23:38
Thanks, def. I'll give this one a ponder. It certainly ties in with the German part of the clue, which I have been unable to reconcile thus far.

I hate these clues where one leads in to the other, especially when I don't know either answer.

Thanks again.

P
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

tonyw

28th August 2011, 23:44
I think mure is correct Mur=german river(letter) E=English and mure =wall to prevent escape
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

the joker

28th August 2011, 23:56
Hi Pipesmoker
Have looked at this Mure thing but unable to assist,as I don't have German.Think it was a taboo language in my school.War and aftermath I am sure.
If it is of any help "mur" in French is a wall.Sometimes French and German words are the same.
No doubt I am confusing you even further,so maybe best to ignore my haverings.I still hold out hopes of initiation into ASHO and am publicly demonstrating my talents for all to see,yea admire.
TJ
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

the joker

29th August 2011, 00:07
TonyW
The river Mur is in Austria plus a few other countries,but not in Germany.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

tonyw

29th August 2011, 00:07
Mure is a wall to enclose ,Chambers
Mur is the name of a German river
E= English
Sometimes letter can mean river as in rive,to cut and let blood ie;river for letter.
That's my best attempt.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

tonyw

29th August 2011, 00:10
sorry correct,Mur is the German name for the river
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

29th August 2011, 18:57
Thanks everyone. I will go with this. It is good to get confirmation that my meanderings of the mind might just have the occasional hint of truth.

Hi, Joker. I reckon you could be the first Fellow of the Ancient Society of Haverers. Your postnominals will be FASOH.

Best wishes.

P
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

the joker

29th August 2011, 19:37
HiPipesmoker

I am indeed honoured at your elevation of me to the status of FASOH.
My main worry is that when writing my name do I put the letters FASOH before the letters for my Associate Royal Society(Edinburgh).
Your advices are awaited after you have consulted the Lord Lyon.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post