CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

23rd August 2011, 14:47
I thought I'd post a copy of the recent email I received from Norah Young, the site moderator. Hi Sally

Thanks for your e-mails regarding the forum.

Ash wants our moderation of the forum to have a very light touch, thus comments such as *******s below would be okay - whilst not very nice they aren’t offensive. It is very difficult, where do you draw the line at what is offensive and what isn’t offensive? Who decides? What offends one person would not necessarily offend another. We have therefore decided to operate a fairly free policy on discussions and do not get involved in individual arguments between participants. However we will not tolerate foul language under any circumstances.

The new email verification system should sort out a lot of the problems but it will probably take a couple of weeks to settle down.

Regards

NORAH YOUNG
Evoluted New Media

So basically, as long there's no bad language it's acceptable to post virtually anything on site. However, should enough people complain about a post, it makesit easier to block the offender. At least it clarifies the situation. It also means that those people who winge "it's a crossword site" have nothing to complain about and we should either ignore the trolls or laugh at them. I have decided after reading this, that I will ignore. :0)
1 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd August 2011, 15:00
Norah (Ash's Mum) has a great sense of humour and we should go along with that. Re the last post (the one which Wendy rightly ignored) we just hope that young Phillip does not stray beyond the boundaries!
Then we can all carry on enjoying the forum.
Here's a new one for us DNRTTB (do not rise to the bait ) Have a good day everyone.
2 of 52  -   Report This Post

phillip

23rd August 2011, 15:01
Re your final paragraph.
Sentence 1. So it's OK to call someone a mong,nutter,cretin,etc but no swearwords.
Sentence 2. No evidence in email that this is true.
Sentence 3. It does not.
Sentence 4. Debatable at least.
3 of 52  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd August 2011, 15:02
Thanks for that Sallyw,

I agree with Ash's idea about keeping a very light touch otherwise we'll all be terrified to be a bit outrageous when the need calls.

I don't however feel there's any reason why we should put up with the very nasty (and I have to say sometimes hurtful) comments made by some of the trolls in their various forms.

I agree that the best option is to totally ignore them but sometimes it's difficult. I'm sure that for every time one of us retaliates we'll get the problem back tenfold.

I'm a bit worried about Mrs. Grundy as we haven't heard from her since Ash asked for re-registration. The same could well apply to Mrs. Trellis too.

What a shame we can't send a little "private message" to ask them how they are.

Kind regards

Wendy
4 of 52  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd August 2011, 15:03
DNRTTB
5 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd August 2011, 15:07
Mrs Trellis is glady still with us. She reponded to some help just a day or two ago. I think Mrs Grundy may be the new MrsG ?
6 of 52  -   Report This Post

the joker

23rd August 2011, 15:08
Sally
Thanks for posting copy of email from Mrs.Young.
Do you know what the naughty,but acceptable word shown by the asterisks is,so that I may use it with impunity?
Are we allowed to have guesses here?
TJ
7 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd August 2011, 15:20
TJ When I was working, we had a swear box.(a charity box actually )A list of swear words were typed so that everyone knew the banned ones. The list grew into 3 x A4 pages, as French, Greek and German swear words were added to accommodate various members of staff .
I kept the list for a few years and always had a good laugh when re-reading it, but then finally i binned it (in case someone came across it and thought what a naughty girl I was !!! :0)
8 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd August 2011, 15:22
PS the charity made a HUGE amount of money!
9 of 52  -   Report This Post

pastille

23rd August 2011, 16:58
Hi,

Maybe we should have a "vitual" sweary box?

I am with T.J.as I am now curious...

Anybody any idea what the word was?
10 of 52  -   Report This Post