CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bella

10th August 2011, 14:06
I've completed the grid but am unsure of two answers and I'd appreciate an explanation of them or a pointer to the correct solution if I am [more than likely!] wrong.
5d Knight gets no time in prison.[3] My answer is "sir". I can relate this to Knight but not the remainder of the clue.
20a Generous payment given - thats about right.[4-6} My answer is "free-handed" but I don't see the wordplay which makes me think it is wrong.
Help would be appreciated
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

mrs grundy

10th August 2011, 14:10
Prison is s(t)ir.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

barrycat

10th August 2011, 14:11
Prison also known as stir. No time in prison=s(t)ir
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

mrs grundy

10th August 2011, 14:12
F(R)EE HANDED.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

barrycat

10th August 2011, 14:13
Payment given = fee handed about right = f(r)ee handed
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

mamya

10th August 2011, 14:13
Handed is Given

Payment is Fee around 'R' (right)
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

bella

10th August 2011, 14:50
Thank you all very much. I am so happy to have your replies. I finished the grid a couple of days ago and these two have been niggling away in the back of my mind. Stir - prison is a new one for me. I've just looked it up in the hope that the exercise of checking will help me retain the info for the next time. Again thank you all.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

bella

10th August 2011, 14:51
Thank you all very much. I am so happy to have your replies. I finished the grid a couple of days ago and these two have been niggling away in the back of my mind. Stir - prison is a new one for me. I've just looked it up in the hope that the exercise of checking will help me retain the info for the next time. Again thank you all.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post