CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

9th August 2011, 11:16
Hope I'm not spoiling it for anyone but I have a wee query on my last clue to solve.
Fast communicator, but going over the heads of many (8) A?R?I?E?

The answer is fairly obvious BUT my difficulty is with the definition "fast COMMUNICATOR". Can't tie the word 'communicator' to a means of transport. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Tonyw. Have you finished it this month?
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

tonyw

9th August 2011, 11:21
Have not even looked at it Jolan.

2 of 10  -   Report This Post

tonyw

9th August 2011, 11:24
To communicate can mean to transport(Chambers)
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th August 2011, 11:55
Thanks Tonyw.
Funny how different versions of Chambers have slightly different definitions. Below is how my C.Dict defines 'communicate'. "To transport" is not even in my big 1998 hardback version. "Communicate" in the Ch Thes gives "convey" but this is not in the 'transport' sense.

Be interesting to see if you're happy with the clue and answer when you reach it. Perhaps my "obvious" answer to the clue is wrong.

If 'communicate' = 'to transport', as in your ChD, then the I'll send in the answer I've arrived at.

Thanks a million T.

communicate
vt to impart; to reveal, demonstrate; to bestow.
vi to succeed in conveying one's meaning to others; to have something in common (with another person); to have communication, correspondence, verbal or written contact (with with); to have a means of communication; to partake of Holy Communion.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th August 2011, 12:01
a COMMUNICATION is a letter = a LINE.
Surely as simple as that.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th August 2011, 12:09
Eh, TJ?
What do you make the answer to the clue above to be? And how does it fit in with the words of the clue?
I'd be grateful for your kind input.
J
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

tonyw

9th August 2011, 12:11
communicate: to have means of passage.
communication:a means of transporting,esp.troops and supplies.
hence your answer.
Hope that helps
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th August 2011, 12:15
Airline
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th August 2011, 12:20
Yes indeed, Tonyw. Thank you again. Looks like my answer is correct. Personally, I would never have used that wording, had I been setting the clue.

PS. It's not as difficult as usual this month. I also found the 'definition' for 13D slightly 'iffy' BUT OK (I suppose). Happy solving!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th August 2011, 12:22
Yes, TJ. That's what I got. I'm still not happy with the clue, but Tonyw's def suggests it is AIRLINER. I still don't like it.
Thank you.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post