CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

2nd August 2011, 16:27
HI, Folks.

Easier than it would appear at first glance, this week. However, when you write the answer for 4 down into the spaces provided for 3 down, it gets a wee bit complicated.

Also, 7 across. I assumed that this was an anagram of shed a, giving shade, but had to rethink when it started not fitting in.

Hope all are well.

P
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

navigator

2nd August 2011, 18:35
Good evening all.
I hope you are well ... there were several absent friends last week.
This week's gave me a few difficulties:
7a until I discovered that the answer
is a US term for a light cover.
12a long time getting the first 4-letter word.
5d took ages
13d an unusual sort of clue but quite clever.
21a The last to finish.I doubt if the word will ever appear in a dictionary.
With best wishes,
N
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

old gal

3rd August 2011, 16:38
Hello Mr P and Navigator! Not many solved so far but my brain usually works later on in the week. Was missing last week due to hospital keeping me in - went in on Monday expecting to be out Tues, but low white blood cells plus temperature intervened. Had to stay in until Friday. Had RT crossword with me but was unable to communicate with anyone! Now all treatment finished, have appoint on 15th to discuss further operation. At least I haven't fallen at the first hurdle..... Worried about your comment re 21a and feel stand no chance with this one...
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

terry as was

3rd August 2011, 16:45
Hello Old Gal,

Glad to hear things are little better. Keep it going.
Terry.
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

molly

3rd August 2011, 17:15
Very proud to have finished. Definitely getting the hang of this cryptic lark.
Enjoyed 13d though I did get a bit hung up on Snow white's dwarves for a while! Sleepy, Dopey et al...
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

wee jock

3rd August 2011, 23:42
HOWDY FOLKS

A special hallo and good health to you OLD GAL, KEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND YOUR CHIN!

Well now, I'm afraid I'm reluctantly admitting defeat with that dasterdly 21a,the
clue which passeth all understanding. I've looked at it all ways, checked all the crossing down clues,looked in dictionaries and thesaurus but can throw no light.Even my old friend serendipity has deserted me.
So congratulations to all you briliant folk
who have solved it.
GO FOR IT OLD GAL YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE NO BOTHER.

NUFF SAID
WJ
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

chris mart

4th August 2011, 00:25

karen

4th August 2011, 00:40
Hello all.
Dear old gal,sorry to hear you had to spend time in hospital,but glad to hear they're still caring for you,you don't sound like a lady who'll fall at the first hurdle!
Re 21ac I've been trying to put this well for the last few hours,maybe not,but I'll try. It's a word I use,usually regarding persons with a lot of money. Having read Navigators post I looked it up in my dictionary and was surprised not to find it there!
From a person bad at setting clues,the best I can do is....first 4 letters, something you'd keep your gardening tools in,usually in the garden+lots of them.
Hope that helps! Sorry if that no help at all!
P.S Nice to hear from you Wee Jock,hope your keeping well.
Best to all Karenxx
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

karen

4th August 2011, 00:54
Dear all.
Should you not want your RT crossword solved in a trice,do not look at Chris Mart's site suggestion (didn't know it existed!). However it's up to you.
Bestx
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

navigator

4th August 2011, 11:35
Hi Karen,
I did not know of Chris Mart's site. I regard it as a prohibited area .. at least
until you have completed the puzzle.
Having completed 32 to my own satisfaction
I have looked at CM's solution. I hesitate to
disagree with an expert but I prefer my solution of 6d to his.
Kind regards,
N
10 of 22  -   Report This Post