CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bcc

31st July 2011, 04:03
Anybody here who does those?

If you do, you might also be familiar with Rex Parker's blog.

Would love to exchange comments.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

31st July 2011, 08:54
Can you get it online? I tried to get the NYT for my husband, but failed miserably. In fact my local newsagent did his best but couldn't order it and yet you can get papers from Pakistan, the Baltics, Carribean etc!
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

big dave

31st July 2011, 09:45
"Can you get it online"

Yes - for $39.99 per year.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords/index.html
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

31st July 2011, 11:05
Thank you Big Dave. Can't see me paying out that much - that's a lot of crossword books!
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

big dave

31st July 2011, 11:30
"that's a lot of crossword books"

Not the way the dollar is likely to fall if they don't sort out their problems!
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

bcc

1st August 2011, 02:44
Yes, as far as I know, all the major US periodicals, unlike the Brits, require a subscription.
"The Atlantic" even removed their cryptic from the hard-copy version, so you can't even get it at the library.

So this thread is aimed mainly at North Americans. Puzzles are syndicated week(s) later to various papers.

Hope to hear from another solver.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

paul

1st August 2011, 02:49
Zardoz - also UK based so can't contribute...

However we run a weekly competition for clue-writing called CLUELESS. This week I set it, and you are cordially invited to give your US take on it (CLUELESS 19)

yours, Paul (London)
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

bcc

1st August 2011, 08:24
Hi Paul,

Just looked at your puzzle. Neat. Will have to give it a try.

Didn't want to post there because of "no comments about submissions", but here I would say sudokulover has a winner right out of the gate!

BTW, I'm in Canada. Have done the Spectator for ages, & lately a few Genius puzzles. Harper's is about the only worthwhile source available over here.

Cryptics beat the heck out of American "general knowledge" puzzles.

Thanks for the invitation.

8 of 11  -   Report This Post

m.o.m.o

2nd August 2011, 14:22
Hi Zardoz,what a surprise it was to see your question,I dont know ANYone around me who does the NY Times Sunday.I live in Spain so I get it in the International Herald Tribune's Sat-Sun issue and I promise u I could not live without it,I am counting the days-every week!
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

m.o.m.o

2nd August 2011, 14:24
about Rex P yes I look him up now and then,or the "Gothic" but only if I have to confirm a word or given up on it! No offence meant to the Times but for me there is NOTHING com[parable to the joy of NYT in IHT week-ends!
10 of 11  -   Report This Post