CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crypticvirgin

14th July 2011, 13:07
My brain has returned to mush. I looked at the crossword hours ago and it still looks like a mish-mash of clues to me. So far I have only been able to get two - 2(d)High Tea and 15(a)Aspen - although I am not so sure about the last one.

Has anyone got any of the answers to set me on my way? I'm determined to get the hang of this even though my brain doesn't seem to cope with lateral thinking!
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

chelle

14th July 2011, 13:08
I don't have the paper - could you give us some of the clues?
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

bernie

14th July 2011, 13:12
A couple of long ones to get you going.
1a Aphrodisiac
1d Artificial heart
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

crypticvirgin

14th July 2011, 13:17
Thank you Chelle - there are certainly a lot of them!

1(a) Radio chap is getting excited, having taken this?(11) (Third letter is h if high tea is correct

1(d) I rate a chairlift poorly but it'll keep you alive(10,5) (I was thinking it was maybe an anagram of I rate a chairlift and that it was life- something)

12(a) Denied referee cup tie now and then at Dartmouth(7)

5(d) What diabetic takes home after non-stop abuse(7)

6(d) More rejected what Henry established (6,2,7) (My head kept thinking along the lines of Catherine of Aragon although I know it is not the answer as the letters don't fit - I have no idea why it was coming into my head)

There are a few anyway - would be grateful of any help.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

chelle

14th July 2011, 13:19
5d insulin = insul(t) in
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

crypticvirgin

14th July 2011, 13:19
Thanks Bernie - those two will certainly get me started on this and I can see where they have come from. Your help is very much appreciated and I hope will switch me into cryptic mode.
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

chelle

14th July 2011, 13:21
12a refuted

ref + ute alternate letters (now and then) of cup tie and d from dartmouth
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

crypticvirgin

14th July 2011, 13:27
Thank you Chelle - I had guessed insulin after putting Bernie's clues in but I couldn't see where it had come from and now I can see it.
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

helenb

14th July 2011, 13:31
6d Church of England
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

crypticvirgin

14th July 2011, 13:40
Thanks all - I think my head is starting to work - I think 6d is Church of England.

Here are a couple more I know I will not be able to get on my own.

25(a) Smashing oblong article somewhere in Italy (7) ????g??

14(a) Conservative party's leading medic (3)
??c - Is it doc - if so I can't see why but it is the only three letter word I can come up with that has any medical connection.

16 (d)Under PR 17 potentially win power over time, he argues (9) (Possibly P???????T) and (17(a) Not a single person's beginning to eat after 12 (2,3)(the answer to 12 is refuted) - I think is No One)
10 of 16  -   Report This Post