CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

2nd July 2011, 16:04
Empty seat left by son (5)

Hi, Tony. Can you tell us what you got for this clue in the Saga Magazine, and what your logic was for solving it? We have been working on it with Jolan, and have come up with one or two answers, but haven't reached a concensus.

Ta.

P
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

ajt

2nd July 2011, 16:43
Hi Pipesmoker - I haven't got this xword, but was intrigued . Do you have Bradford'a Crossword Solver's dictionary? One of the meanings given to "empty" is "addle". So - Saddle - seat - left by son. Saddle minus s -
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

2nd July 2011, 16:47
Thanks, AJT. I think this is going to be correct, but there must have been an error in the presentation of the clue. It is annoying when they get the tense wrong. Quite a regular occurrence in our local rag. That and publishing the answers under the grid, totally wrong grid etc..

Thanks again.

P
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

tonyw

2nd July 2011, 16:51
good call, pipesmoker,have a look at my last answer
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

2nd July 2011, 17:05
Thanks for your trouble, Tonyw. I don't know if my reasoning was too convoluted for the particuar crossword, since I have never done it, but at least, it does confirm Jolan's orginal thought.

Ta much.

P
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd July 2011, 11:44
Hi Pipesmoker
The Saga crossie is usually quite difficult, using quite obscure words and references. It's produces by CULLEN CROSSWORDS using Chambers Dict. I've rarely found, what I suspect to be, an error like this one (if it is, indeed, an error). Quite often one's thinking has to be quite convoluted.
J
6 of 6  -   Report This Post