CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

richard

30th June 2011, 08:53
12a is driving me mad.
I have C-N-O-R
candour and contour fit, but I cant see why
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

30th June 2011, 08:57
Can you post the clur Richard? Not everyone has the crossword in front of them, but still like to exercise the old grey matter!
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

richard

30th June 2011, 09:03
Sorry, I missed an important bit!
There is a cartoon of a scent spray spraying a dark angled line. The helpful words are 'Horseman (not really)'

3 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

30th June 2011, 09:06
Sounds as though it might be centaur.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

richard

30th June 2011, 09:14
Pipesmoker - You are a genius! Thanks.
I misspelt coati, the crossing clue
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

30th June 2011, 10:45
Didn't realise it wasn't a crossword Richard, but well described!
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

30th June 2011, 10:56
Good morning, Sally. If I am thinking of the right puzzle, this is a crossword, but some of the clues are given in the form of a picture, from which you work out what the word might be. These answers are entered into blue squares, while normal clues are entered into white ones.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

richard

30th June 2011, 11:02
You have described it spot on pipesmoker.
I am trying to learn to solve cryptic puzzles, its at my level at present!
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

30th June 2011, 11:09
Good morning Pipesmoker. Thank you for enlightening me. Richard, like anything else in life, the more you do cryptics, the better you get! Happy solving!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

30th June 2011, 11:23
Happy to help, Sally.

Richard, this is quite a good level to be at if you are just beginning. I think the picture clue is called a rebus. In this instance, you need to be able to interpret the picture, which is not always that easy. With the cryptic, the answer is always in the clue.

I've been doing crosswords for more than fifty years now, and still don't always get it right. You'll find names on this forum who always give, but never ask for answers.

Good luck. It is a wonderful means of keeping the brain alert, relaxing and giving you something to do when you can't be bothered talking to your visitors.

P
10 of 10  -   Report This Post