CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

28th June 2011, 11:01
Good morning friends. Great idea of Ash'! Should help keep the nutters at bay. Have a good 'solve'.

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm BST (GMT+1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Commissions cravats for Charles? (9)
2. Operate honestly under cover (2,3,3)
3. Mine host, opening to provide meat (4)
4. Changing the shape of paper or small periodical to return in two initial issues (7)
5. The last vexatious bore is put out (9)
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th June 2011, 17:00
1 royal-ties
2 on the sly(anag)
3 pit-h
4 or-i-gam-i
5 ? still trying

Nice clues as always Jolan
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

28th June 2011, 17:26
Superb, Ixion. All top notch with explanayions. Thank you for nice comment. I'll leave the last one until later. I'll go off and have my din-din now. Hope you get it!
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

28th June 2011, 17:30
I got the first four - best I've done so far - but the last one is proving problematic!
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

siamcat

28th June 2011, 17:51
Only really managed to get the first two. Guessed origami as the answer to 4, but was stuck on the working out.

Thanks again, Jolan, we appreciate your time and effort.

5 of 27  -   Report This Post

pastille

28th June 2011, 18:06
Hi,

Same as Siamcat...got the first 2, guessed origami....and no5 is very vexatious!

Take care

p@ x

Ps Ixion, At first I was Very impressed that you managed to get in before Tony...then disappointed that there was no Tony!!!

What is the world coming too!
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

ab

28th June 2011, 19:23
The last vexatious bore is put out (9)

Very long shot- the last - tail, to be vexatious is to bristle. The insect bristletail is a Petrobius - anagram of "bore is put"?

I'll get my coat.......
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

28th June 2011, 19:35
Sounds good, AB. My wee anagram machine didn't know the word. Funnily enough, neither did I.

P
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th June 2011, 20:39
Good stuff as always Jolan. i didn't get 1,and 5. i kicked myself when Royalties was given(i even had the 'ties'bit)

Pipesmoker - try this anagram solver (you don't need to remove punctuation or spaces).it has a good crossword solver too.

https://www.crosswordsolver.org/anagram-solver/

I came up with Petrobius but can't really see it as the answer.
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th June 2011, 20:48
ps. Pipesmoker.
my Cat brought home a brush to me - pink with white nylon bristles(bristle being a word mentioned here earlier, which is why i thought of it).
Weird little buggers aren't they?
10 of 27  -   Report This Post