CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andy from the well watp

25th June 2011, 22:54
48 down drawings 8 letters D*A**A*S
Assuming that the second A is from saliva.
That is all for this week Wishie & Pipesmoker
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

ab

25th June 2011, 22:55
diagrams?
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

tonyw

25th June 2011, 22:56
diagrams
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

andy from the well watp

25th June 2011, 23:17
AB & tonyw - you are 2 stars (not disastars)
Paul & Julie - where were you this week when you were needed? Winching? Wishie & Pipesmoker - probably in Girdwood's boozer!
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

25th June 2011, 23:18
Good to hear from you, Andy.

Are you old enough to remember Motherwell before the one way system was put in? When I passed my driving test, you could go through from Merry Street into Hamilton Road, and from Brandon Street into Muir Street. Happy days.

P
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

andy from the well watp

26th June 2011, 00:04
heypipesmoker - I started school in 1943 so there is a good chance I will remember more of 'well than you. The Central & St Jos are now demolished. Strathclyde hospital is being demolished right now!
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

wishie

26th June 2011, 07:53
Morning Andy
Good to read your shared reminiscences of the town with Pipesmoker.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

26th June 2011, 09:19
'Morning, Andy and Wishie,

Yes, you were here well before me. I didn't even see the light of day until 1946. Born in New Stevenston, primary school there, then three of the most miserable years of my life at Dalziel High and on eventually to work in Ravenscraig and Dalzell Works. Left the area around 1984 and still come back for the occasional funeral. I don't get invited to weddings, since I took my crossword to one in case I got bored.

Have a nice Sunday.

P
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

andy from the well watp

26th June 2011, 16:05
Hey Pipesmoker - I went to Knowetop & then DL high & started in Dalzell Steel Works ofice in 1954. Left in 69 to become a rep. Still live in the 'Well. Being retired is the best job I have ever had - dont know how I had time to work
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

26th June 2011, 16:13
Hi, Andy,

By the time I got to Dalziel High, Jimmy Scobbie was rector, and discipline was pretty harsh. Teachers like Lizzie Boa and Tober Morrison seemed to make it their personal mission to ensure that I wouldn't ever forget them. By now I suppose, they will all have gone to their just reward.

My first job was as a tea boy in Hallside Works. I didn't arrive at Dalzell until the early eighties, when they decided I should join the metallurgy team. Metallurgy is a subject of which I know absolutely nothing, so when the big cuts came, they didn't have to look far for a suitable candidate. I enjoyed my time in Ravenscraig, though.

Like your self, I am finding retirement a much better option than having to get up and head out to work every morning.

Best wishes, the noo.

P

10 of 13  -   Report This Post