CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

27th August 2014, 14:06
A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge.

The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now somewhere around $60.00.

A family member placed a call to Citibank.

Here is the exchange :

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.
Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'
Family Member: 'Maybe you should turn it over to collections.'
Citibank : 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'
Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'
Citibank : 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'
Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'
Citibank : 'Excuse me?'
Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'
Citibank : 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'
Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January with a $0 balance.'
Citibank : 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.'
Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'
Citibank : (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'
Family Member:'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)
Citibank:'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'
Family Member:'Sure.' (Fax number was given)
After they get the fax :

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'
Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'
Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges will still apply.'

(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'
Citibank : 'That might help....'
Family Member:’ Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'
Citibank : 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'
Family Member: 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(Would you believe I had a very similar conversation with British Gas after my father died; BG wanted his forwarding address.......I gave it as c/o God, Heaven, The Universe........)

1575 of 1953  -   Report This Post

bernie

27th August 2014, 15:50
Now he'll be inundated with junk mail!
1576 of 1953  -   Report This Post

syzygy

28th August 2014, 07:49
@elle That's total bull.

That nonsense has been circulating since at least 2003.
http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/deadcard.asp

As for your "personal experience"; it might carry more weight if it wasn't attached to what is essentially spam.
1577 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

28th August 2014, 08:50
elle , syzygy is correct, I have seen at least 6 different versions of this letter.
However, back to recorded phone calls:-

RAC Motoring Services
Caller: 'Does your European Breakdown Policy cover me when I am travelling in Australia ?'
Operator: 'Doesn't the product name give you a clue?'
1578 of 1953  -   Report This Post

elle

28th August 2014, 09:50
Celadon and Syzygy: that particular excerpt or similar versions may only be satires aimed at dense/ insensitive/ deaf to what you are telling them/ authorities, but this kind of situation DOES happen, as it really DID happen to me.
After my father died, I contacted British Gas to close down his account, disconnect the gas, etc, and was told by the insensitive idiot on the phone that he couldn't authorise this without talking to my father..... I explained yet again that sadly my father had just died ( I was nearly in tears at this point) but the BG member of staff said then that he would need a forwarding address for my dad to get the authorisation........
My anger saw me through the ordeal, but it was very stressful at the time.
1579 of 1953  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th August 2014, 10:05
Hi Elle et al, while I am neither accepting or denying the veracity of this particular instance (like all good myths and legends it probably has grown horns and legs but based on actual iinstances) my dealings with Scottish Power show that staff rely on "prepared" scripts and answers which are supposed to cover all events and when you finally drive home the point (not easy) that you would like them to actually listen to your particular problem/complaint inevitably (like "Little Britain") it is the fault of the computer. No wonder, here in Britain at least, energy companies are consistently criticised for having the worst level of " Customer Service " in any consumer sector.
1580 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

30th August 2014, 11:22
Just back from an investigative trip to Stonehenge, and having read what elle and ginge wrote thank you both for that input. Belated condolences elle.
1581 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

30th August 2014, 11:24
(Not my daughter).

My five-year-old daughter was at her first wedding and gaped at the entire ceremony.

When it was over, she asked me, "Why did the lady change her mind?"

I replied, "What do you mean?"

"Well, she went down the aisle with one man, and came back with another one."
1582 of 1953  -   Report This Post

syzygy

30th August 2014, 23:09
Defendant: I did it because I was as drunk as a judge.

Judge: I think you mean "As drunk as a lord," my good man.

Defendant: Yes, my Lord.
1583 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

1st September 2014, 14:48
TO WHOM DOES THE LAND OF ISRAEL BELONG?

An Israeli with a sense of humour at the United Nations set the record straight.

An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile.

A representative from Israel began: 'Before beginning my talk I want to tell you something about Moses: When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, "What a good opportunity to have a bath!"

Moses removed his clothes, put them aside on the rock and entered the water. When he got out and wanted to dress, his clothes had vanished. A Palestinian had stolen them!

The Palestinian representative at the UN jumped up furiously and shouted, "What are you talking about? The Palestinians weren't there then."

The Israeli representative smiled and said, "And now that we have made that clear, I shall begin my speech.
1584 of 1953  -   Report This Post