CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

21st June 2011, 11:54
Good Morning, Friends,

Another fairly straightforward week. Can't say that 5 down is a word that trips off my tongue on a daily basis.

Have a nice day.
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

old gal

21st June 2011, 13:14
Hello Pipesmoker - you are nice and early! Have only completed a few so far, 18a seems to be a popular clue, remember having it a couple of times before!!! Will drop in again, no doubt asking for help. Best wishes to everyone!
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

karen

21st June 2011, 13:38
Afternoon all.
Hi Pipesmoker and old gal, hope your both feeling well this week.5d not a word I often use myself Pipesmoker, at least it was part anagram,helped solve it,for me anyway!
Best to allx
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

old gal

21st June 2011, 16:43
5d has got me stumped also 20a. Any further hints as to the answers would be appreciated. No full answers - like to struggle a bit! Am well but finding all the treatment very tiring plus trips every day to the hospital. Weekends are not the break I had hoped for as I could hardly get out of bed last sat/sun. Still, musnt grumble, as they say.....
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

torvic

21st June 2011, 17:27
Hi Old Gal, My best wishes to you, 5d is an anagram of 'on tee' surrounded by a mathematical word for and. 20a is an anagram of 'quits the' preceeded by two letters for a commander.
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

21st June 2011, 17:35
Hi, All. Yes, Old Gal. Being early is probably a sign that I am too bone idle to get involved in anything that resembles work. A wee while at the crossword, and then I can convince myself, at least, that I have had a busy day.

Glad you are coping with trials and tribulations of life.

Best wishes for now.

P
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

navigator

21st June 2011, 17:41
Hi Old Gal and good afternoon all.
Sorry that you're feeling the tiring effects of the treatment but let's hope and pray that
things will work out well for you.
20a. Commander - -initial letters of Commanding Officer -with following words
forming an anagram.
5d.A saying "There's ?????? more where that came from". The missing word may lead you to the answer. The actual answer appears in a
beautiful hymn sung to the tune Aberystwyth
"????????? grace with Thee is found"
Best wishes,
Navigator.
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

21st June 2011, 18:07
Evenin' All [Stands with hands behind back and bends at the knees],

I've not experienced any difficulties with today's puzzle although I found 5d down to be a bit messy.

Newcomers to this thread may wonder about the introduction; the regulars won't!

I hope that you're putting on a brave face, Old Gal.

With best wishes,

Caravaggio

8 of 32  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd June 2011, 00:37
A lovely tune, indeed, Navigator. I used to work in a Government call centre, and had a caller from that very place. The natural thing to do, was to give a quick rendition. Now, certain calls were pulled for quality purposes, by the team leader and others a bit higher up the food chain. You can see where this is going. Yes. I was summoned to be told that this was most unprofessional. At least, the caller appreciated my efforts. I think the call is now used as an example of how not to answer a call.

Best wishes.

P
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

navigator

22nd June 2011, 10:34
Pipesmoker.
Your superiors may have feared that Aberystwyth was just one of your extensive
repertoire. With many callers from places
associated with hymn tunes they probably
decided to nip your musical response to
calls in the bud before you turned the call
centre into a Songs of Praise facility.