CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » "U"

aiden

20th June 2011, 16:47
Life-rent: that's right.

8 letters starts with the letter U
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

sallyw

20th June 2011, 17:26
Upheaval might be the answer, but it's a bit tenuous I'm afraid.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

aiden

20th June 2011, 22:41
Please can you explain reasoning, maybe a bit thick but just cann't see it
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

sallyw

21st June 2011, 08:52
I thought life-rent, rent can mean to tear something apart. As I said it's a bit tenuous.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

aiden

21st June 2011, 16:35
Thanks Sally.
Life rent is a scottish legal term to do with property, so maybe need some one with a scots background to assist.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

millder

21st June 2011, 19:04
usufruct
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

sallyw

21st June 2011, 19:15
millder, that's a new one for me.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

21st June 2011, 19:33
Where's Aiden ?
Millder has definitely cracked it - usufruct is the Roman law equivalent of the Scottish Law life-rent
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

aiden

21st June 2011, 22:23
I'm here Julie.

Great word millder, I had never heard of it but just had to go and have a google and it seems it is also a term used within the mining industry.
Thanks very much
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

21st June 2011, 23:09
Hi Aiden,
I'm curious about this quiz - what is its title ? Is it a Glasgow Uni quiz, a charity quiz? See Anne's post on 17th June at 21.17 to 19th June - lots of input from helpers - ambiguous clues!
Was the actual wording of the clue "Life-rent: that's right". Made me think it ended i.e. for "that is" + "r" for right and researched all 8 letter words beginning with "U" and ending "ier" - nothing sensible came up. "Life-rent wills" are quite common in Scotland - leaving the property to the surviving partner for his/her life and the property to be disposed of on his/her death for the benefit of any surviving children on second death - very popular in the case of second marriages - I'm not a solicitor - poorly paid ex legal sec.
Millder not a popular name - there is a publication "Millder Financial Instruments by Seidman" - I put you clue round my Rambling Club's bus to Glenlivet today - no takers - retired solicitors on board !
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » "U"