CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

1st July 2009, 21:39
Yes, a bit tenuous I suppose. I was thinking of a highlight which catches the attention or halts you. The only other one I could think of was OSWALDTWISTLE, which is even more obscure.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

the joker

1st July 2009, 21:53
Hi John
My thoughts were towards GLASS for the flute bit but all I could muster was RAVENGLASS which is useless.
Turning to your HALT could it be that at traffic lights the red light (meaning stop/halt) is always at the top above amber and green.
Sometimes I think I am losing my sanity doing these crosswords!
Regards

Joker
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

trevor

1st July 2009, 22:00
maybe something ending in - fife?
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

1st July 2009, 22:20
Hi Joker,

Yes, I like the traffic light analogy I'll go with that.

Hi trevor,

I did originally try "FIFE" but couldn't think of a place in NW England with that ending. Unfortunately the real Fife is just North of Joker in Auld Reekie on the east coast, so that doesn't help either.

Of course all this is assuming that the setter ignored any part of Scotland as being in the NW.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

helena

1st July 2009, 22:31
how about TIN(T)WISTLE jus a thought, grasping at straws now
10 of 14  -   Report This Post

campanilla

1st July 2009, 22:52
Well now, after touring through the Northwest of England for what seems like hours now and becoming quite intimate with all the quaint little names, (so much so that I doubt I ever will feel the need to visit), I went with glass, as did joker, for flute. I came up with, maybe "sun" for high light as opposed to highlight, which brought me to Glasson, but I sadly fear that this may be muddying the waters somewhat as tecnically the clue should be the other way round unless the setter has an even more warped mind than us! So it's cocoa all round boys and start again tomorrow. And you all thought that this was fun!!!! By the way, don't even bother looking for Lamplugh as the only explanation I can find for lugh is an Irish god, actually the god of light, a bit like me really. Should you care to google it you will certainly see why....... And so to bed.
11 of 14  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd July 2009, 09:38
Helena's got it -- TINT meaning highlight.
12 of 14  -   Report This Post

jue

2nd July 2009, 10:44
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP,

SORRY JOHN IF I OFFENDED TYPING IN CAPS, BUT I ALWAYS DO, SAVES HITTING THAT SHIFT KEY DOESNT IT!! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE WHO INPUTTED, ALL THE BEST JULIE X
13 of 14  -   Report This Post

jue

2nd July 2009, 10:52
OH SORRY BY THE WAY I THINK HELENA\'S IS BRILLIANT, THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AGAIN, YOU\'RE ALL VERY CLEVER PEOPLE. JULIE X
14 of 14  -   Report This Post