CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wee jock

31st May 2011, 22:03
howdy folkS

I had hoped that someone else had opened RT23
by this time but I'm stuck with it,seemikgly though I cant believe that noone else has finished for it wasnt that difficult, was it?13d and 18a held me up for a bit with their strrange construction but I FINALLY GOT IT

Best of solving to all
must fly

HOPE YOU WELL OLD GAL et al
NUFF SAID
WJ
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

gillian

31st May 2011, 22:07
It was very easy and that is why nobody has asked for help(YET)
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

31st May 2011, 22:59
Hi, WJ,

Sadly, Bank Holiday gets in the way of RT delivery. Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow.

Incidentally, Mrs P agrees with your choice of concordance. I find Young's is more helpful, albeit the pages are so very thin, it is difficult not to dog-ear it.

Best wishes.

P
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

1st June 2011, 06:46
Good morning all,

I had little difficulty with this puzzle, although I thought that the construct of 24a was poor. However, the compiler redeemed himself/herself as the surface reading of 5d was very clever.

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

chris4food

1st June 2011, 12:15
'Morning All
I found this week's puzzle a bit like the curate's egg.....
18a flummoxed me for a while as did 24a
BUT, as ever, I'm stuck on my final two clues - 20a
C-R-I---

and 26d
---A-

Any additional clues would be gratefully appreciated....
Best wishes and good health to you all
Chris
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

1st June 2011, 12:35
Hi Chris,

Your first one [in fact 22a] is in Cumbria so, when you see the construct, you'll swear under your breath...

The second one is either 19d [hidden in the clue] or 20d and this caused me a problem for a minute or two. If you've put in 22a correctly, the second letter is 'l' so you now need to surround it with a four-letter animal and, to give you a further clue, it's
not a bear!

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

chris4food

1st June 2011, 14:40
Damn, Caravaggio, but you're good......
I'd already got 19d - but it took while.
22a - got it straight away after you'd said in was in Cumbria [and yes,I did curse under my breath]- but I wasn't sure it was a city.
20d made me laugh when I got that one - I was thinking more along the lines of rubbing something in to soothe, not salt-in-a-wound type of thing.
Anyway, many thanks for the assist
Have a good week/end
Cheers
Chris
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

2nd June 2011, 10:53
Hi, Folks,

I think I have got the answer to 18 across, but don't get the relevance of grand dissenter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

P
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

karen

2nd June 2011, 12:38
Hello all, the computer froze just after posting last week, all better now (I hope)!
Hi Pipesmoker,re 18ac Grand dissenter refers to the second word G=grand+another word for dissenter with the last letter left off.
Hope that makes sense!
Best to all
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

nimrod

2nd June 2011, 13:32
Good afternoon all,
Agree with a lot of the comments this week. Thought 5D was a cleverly worded clue but also liked 1D, 17D & 22A.
Regards,
NIMROD.
10 of 20  -   Report This Post