CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

31st May 2011, 01:40
I have completed this but I am not happy about the answer for 4 Down, the clue for which is:- "Cry about maiden taking husband, producing loud noise". The answer for this would appear to be "WHOOMPH", which is obviously "WHOOP" around "M" + the "H". NONE of my four leading dictionaries have listed this word, which would appear to be a combination of "WHOOSH" and "OOMPH". Is "WHOOMPH" a proper word?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

def

31st May 2011, 01:48
Concise Oxford English Dictionary - WHOOMPH - LOUD muffled sound.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

31st May 2011, 01:49
Paul,
you are not the 1st to question this,

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/whoomph

this site gives it (some) validity.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

mistley

31st May 2011, 01:51
Whoomph is listed in the online OED under "whoompf"
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

paul

31st May 2011, 01:56
Thanks def and trevor! It sounds a PLAUSIBLE word but, at the end of the day, the compiler obviously had no alternative! It was a jolly good crossword, however, and I know how difficult it can be for a compiler to complete the grid before even contemplating the clues.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

paul

31st May 2011, 01:58
Hi Paul - paul here. Theres been quite a bit of discussion on this earlier in the forum if you want to get stuck in. Incidentally trying to ascertain how many of us eponymous folk are regulars - I am in Hampstead London. You?
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

paul

31st May 2011, 02:09
Hello, paul! It's amazing that all you guys are still up like me. I never go to bed until 2.30 am and have always only needed about 5 hours kip. My mind often is at its most alert about this time! I live near the New Forest at Cadnam. I love getting involved in discussions if I get the time.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

paul

31st May 2011, 02:37
Sounds idyllic! Had a girlfriend in Fordingbridge once. Actually I usually restrict my contributions to answering questions and the occasional cryptic joke, but since there has been so much tangential banter recently I am joining the club!
Sleep well
8 of 8  -   Report This Post