CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

theambler

30th May 2011, 20:06
hi all,
having extreme difficulty with this clue. I have c?i?b?(6)Present day word game in which one knocks out answer. All contributions gratefully received. And thanks in anticipation.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

30th May 2011, 20:12
Hi THEAMBLER,

Crimbo. = present day/christmas

word game is crambo, i replaces/KOs a.

saw this answered earlier by someone else.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonyw

30th May 2011, 20:17
Well done Terry .Bit obscure or what?
Glad you didn't claim full responsibility :)
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

theambler

30th May 2011, 21:00
Thanks terry and tonyw. CRIMBO must say i have never heard of it in 74 years. Might be a Spanish curse or Oor Wullie. And CRAMBO!!!!! I used to live in the same street--- Great middle distance GB runner. Any way (stord) very nice to hear you on one of these bank things Everybody seems to have gone to sleep With Boredom
All the best
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonyw

30th May 2011, 21:05
We used to say hoppy crimble at school and I think that crimble became crimbo.Something to do with the beatles?
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

chips

30th May 2011, 21:53
Chambers - 'Crimbo (informal) Christmas'
OED - 'Crimbo variant spelling of Chrimbo'...'Chrimbo (informal) Christmas. Origin 1920s: child's alteration.'
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th May 2011, 22:00
My son always calls it "Crimbo", no idea where he got the word from. Still didn't get the clue, though
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

theambler

30th May 2011, 23:08
hi terry you were the only one who gave me my CAPITALS back. Think my alter ego must have posted earlier
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

barking dog

2nd June 2011, 09:56
In my husband's family (naval) it was always called CRIMBO; he and his brother (both of a certain age!) still call it that now....
9 of 9  -   Report This Post