CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

qwerty55

18th May 2011, 03:44
Wondering if anyone can solve this one, what is the correct spelling O or E for IMPOST?R, can be spelt both ways, but which to use for an Australian crossword....I think it's O in Australia, but not sure?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

mistley

18th May 2011, 04:43
Hi

According to my dictionary the usual spelling is impostor but can also be spelt imposter. Don't think it makes any difference in British or Australian English.

2 of 7  -   Report This Post

qwerty55

18th May 2011, 05:02
Thanks Mistley, I agree with you, but I have to put one or the other, there can only be one right answer for the crossword, so I'm going with impostor.....Thanks again for your input....
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

the joker

18th May 2011, 12:02
Can the wording of the clue not help you with the spelling of the answer?
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

qwerty55

18th May 2011, 12:49
The clue is pretender, the available letter are I?P?ST?R, so the answer is impost?r, I just wasn't sure of the spelling since you can spell impostor with an E also....but I've decided to stay with impostor....thank you for your comments.....
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

the joker

18th May 2011, 12:55
Sorry Qwerty
I had assumed(wrongly)that it was a cryptic crossword,when the wording of the clue may have helped.
Just goes to show you should not make assumptions.
TJ
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

qwerty55

18th May 2011, 13:21
Thanks TJ...I probably should have explained better to start with....I'll know better next time....Thanks
7 of 7  -   Report This Post