CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jeannie

15th May 2011, 15:46
Special instructions: From the answer to each across clue one letter must be omitted wherever it occurs (often more than once) before entry in the diagram. To the answer to each down clue one letter must be added, at any point but not unchecked, before entry in the diagram. Definitions in both across and down clues refer to untreated answers; cryptic indications refer in both to the answers as they appear in the diagram. Numbers in brackets show the length of untreated answers, both across and down.
19a Sir twice errs with cups - we stick rigidly to holy writ (12) I have ?C??????S?
5d Mates were with'orse coming in second (7) I have ?A?K????
Grateful for any help
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

chald

15th May 2011, 16:37
19, Scripturists.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

chald

15th May 2011, 16:40
5, Wackers?
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

jeannie

15th May 2011, 16:44
Thanks Chald - don't see which extra letter goes with wackers to fit the cryptic bit?
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

jeannie

15th May 2011, 16:46
I do now! wackeres were + (H)ack +s
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

chald

15th May 2011, 16:50
Well done, Jeannie!
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

olim vicis

16th May 2011, 06:29
Jeanie, I am still stuck on this. Clue definition "mates" which is wackers Sorry to be thick but I don't see the cryptic part to give an "H" and what exactly is the grid entry WACKERSH????? This is driving me mad started with VICHYSSOIS (potota soup and took out "S" then found it has an "E" so the N-W corner looks a bit weak -- Any comments?
Olim
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

jeannie

16th May 2011, 08:25
wackers = mates; were with ack = horse HACK becomes ack;then S for second, the extra letter needed is E inserted wackerEs
1a isnt vichysoisse - it's tattie-claw, then remove the T's for entry into the grid as AIECLAW.
The letters to be added and taken out spell out "the uncertain process of letter writing" so that may help you with other clues
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

olim vicis

16th May 2011, 10:39
Many thanks -- I can get on now
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleekc

16th May 2011, 19:37
Nearly finished this after a struggle but can anyone help with 21ac - telegraphs rock sample black found amid fragmented dross - I have ?c?re?o??s. A is the missing letter(s).
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED 2033