CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

7th May 2011, 13:53
Hi friends. I'm stuck of a few explanations (and am sure to feel suitable chagrined when the obvious is pointed out. I'm "fairly" sure of my letters but who knows? Here goes:-

1. Crown servant seen in bar a couple of times (5,3) ?L?C? R?D. Must be Black Rod, but why? rod = bar?

2. Conductor - one for mass in church, perhaps?(5) P?L?T. Has to be pilot. Why?

3. One may carry a drop when greeting in Scotland (4,4) T?A? D?C?. I reckon tear duct, but cannot fig it out.

Help!
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

ab

7th May 2011, 13:57
Conductor - one for mass in church, perhaps
piloti is architectural term for buttresses for holding mass (ie weight)in structures such as churches
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

ab

7th May 2011, 13:58
"Greeting" in Scotland is crying
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

7th May 2011, 13:58
Hi, Jolan,

Not sure of the first two, but in Scotland, to greet means to weep. The wean's greetin', quite simply means the child is weeping.

Hope that helps.

P
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

suziem

7th May 2011, 14:00
Hi Jolan
'Greeting' in Scotland can mean crying, hence tear duct.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

ab

7th May 2011, 14:02
Could a second meaning of "black" mean to bar as from a club? So bar a couple of times would be "Black" and "Rod"
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th May 2011, 14:11
Oh Brilliant!
TEAR DUCT. Ta AB, Pipesmoker and SuzieM. No doubt about it.

AB. Looks like PILOT(I) indeed. Bit obscure, eh?

And AB! Wonderful!!! black = bar = rod.

I forgive myself for PILOT and TEAR DUCT, but certainly not for BLACK ROD.

Many thanks to all of you. I'm sure there are a few more posts awaiting when I psot this.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

sammy

7th May 2011, 14:59
I saw PILOT and immediately thought of pi.

PI = religious LOT = mass (of people), so conductor of religious lot in church.

8 of 16  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th May 2011, 13:09
Ooooh Sammy!
Thanks a million. How simple and how obvious. How did we miss it? I think I'll fall on my sword. Very well spotted.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

ab

8th May 2011, 14:00
Don't want to set up a huge thread but the clue was "Conductor - one for mass in church, perhaps" The pilot, "conductor", + one "I" gives piloti (fans of Private Eye will recognise this is their architectural correspondent's name, so not so obscure). The mass and church are distractors, thus the "perhaps", but are essential to Sammy's explanation. Either way, we are all agreed that the answer is Pilot.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » WORDPLAY?