CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mandala

3rd May 2011, 21:27
Some quite obscure ones this week. You probably have to be over retirement age to remember 8A; and it was better known as a film rather than a TV series. The wittiest clue was 18A.
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

4th May 2011, 11:06
Good morning all,

I made rapid progress with this week's puzzle and then ran into the buffers. Like Mandala, I thought 18a was very clever but I just couldn't see the answer to 14d and it's taken a long while for the penny to drop.

As far as I can see, there is only one possible answer to 3d so are we talking about someone who would cook eggs? If so, it's a poor clue!

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

4th May 2011, 12:21
Good afternoon, all.

Yes, we seem to be sticking on the same clues this week. 8 across took much searching through the alphabet for a three letter word. 3 down, as you say, Caravaggio, is not a good clue, but must have something to do with eggs. I thought 14 down was quite good, but did not spring immediately to mind. 18 across was quite clever.

Best wishes.

P.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

bees

4th May 2011, 19:47
I hope Old Gal keeps in touch every week, if only to talk crosswords. All the best!
I've got all the answers, I just don't believe a lot of them. 3d is distictly eggy. As for 8a, I remember, as an impressionable youth, wondering where Jenny A suddenly acquired a pair of pants before climbing a ladder.
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

murphy

4th May 2011, 20:17
Hi one & all
Stuck on 14d -- some helpful hints would be appreciated
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

4th May 2011, 20:44
Hello Murphy,

As you'll have noted, I got stuck on this ne too! The 'comforter' part of the clue relates to an Old Testament prophet, who was renowned for his patience, and once you've got that part the rest will fall into place...

Back to the football!

Regards,

Caravaggio
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

old gal

4th May 2011, 22:27
Thank you Mr C - I was stuck on this too but now have answer. Hi Bees - will keep in touch - have to have an op on 25th but still waiting for MRI scan. Am currently racking my brain on old sci fi stuff (I like sci fi and am embarrassed I cant get this......)
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

mondrian

5th May 2011, 16:52
Hi Old gal. Good to read your contribution. I too am stuck on 8A and because of that also 3D and 5D. Am also stuck on 17D. Otherwise finished.
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

torvic

5th May 2011, 17:30
8a is best known as a film starring Jenny Agutter and michael York. 5d is contained in the clue. 3d is someone who cooks in a particular way and also the person who steals fish and game.
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

bees

5th May 2011, 19:36
Hi Old Gal, Best of Luck! We're all thinking of you.
17d a pasta dish, in the middle it has another word for dip (the start of a Zodiac sign too). Motorways usually have 4 or 6 of these parts.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post