CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

19th April 2011, 17:15
Good afternoon all,

I've spent a pleasant afternoon sitting out in the garden and decided to make a start on the crossword, which hasn't really caused many problems.

However, there are a number of clues which have made me curse the compiler - 8a is awful and, to give you a hint, you could substitute the word 'laboratory' for 'dog'...

Similarly, you may be tempted to enter 'calor' for 7a. Don't! You will need a synonym for 'heater' in a three-letter shortened form and assume that 'connected' is 'on'.

With kind regards,

Caravaggio
1 of 48  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

20th April 2011, 06:40
What's happened to all the RT readers?
2 of 48  -   Report This Post

chrisg

20th April 2011, 07:38
Morning Caravaggio. Good point. I havent seen many of the regulars on here recently. After reading some of last nights posts I wouldnt blame them if they decided to call it a day on this site
3 of 48  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

20th April 2011, 08:11
Good morning to you too, Chris. Yes, you have a point and it seems to be getting worse, particularly late at night when it appears that drink may have been taken [to use a Woganism].
4 of 48  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

20th April 2011, 10:33
Good morning, Caravaggio et al. I didn't get to RT 17 until late last night, having spent the day, firstly at a funeral then on a shopping spree.

7 across must be one of the most dire clues of recent times. Otherwise, pretty straight forward.

Perhaps the absence of posts is down to the fact that other contributers do not have the luxury of retirement. Having said that, I never let work interfere with my crosswords.

Hope you are enjoying the pleasant spring weather. It is lovely here in Scotland.

Best wishes.

P
5 of 48  -   Report This Post

wee jock

20th April 2011, 12:10
Howdy Folks

Nice to see the hard core(soft centre)are still interested in this site.

While this week's effort was fairly straightforword it nevertheless had some neat and witty clues;viz 10a old city,14a posrcard,19a cops and 3d sailors sometimes.

On the other hand 7a gas heater,18d faux pas,
are a bit dodgy.

The mists along the Firth of Forth are siowly
dispersing so it looks like being another nice day here too.

MUST FLY NUFF SAID THE NOO

WJ
6 of 48  -   Report This Post

mondrian

20th April 2011, 16:40
Good afternoon all. Lovely day here too. Nearly finished but stuck on 13D something about preserving generous last character on railway, also 5 and 6D.

A wee note to Pipesmoker. You kindly replied to my query on the previous thread about CalMac. Before you came on this site there was much trouble caused by a contributor from one of your neighbouring island (Arran) giving too much away re his whereabouts and some intruder to the site made mischief for him and he had to cease contributing, which was a shame. So perhaps it is best not to give any more info about oneself. Another point, on your recommendation I tried the crossword in The Catholic Herald and couldn`t do it at all. Do you do the easy cryptics or the difficult ones?

Please come back Karen, we miss you.
7 of 48  -   Report This Post

mondrian

20th April 2011, 16:41
Meant to say the trouble was caused TO to contributor.!!!
8 of 48  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

20th April 2011, 16:57
Hi Mondrian,

I've just come in for a few minutes and this is another one which will make you swear under your breath. The answer is commonly associated with coffee...

To break it down into three parts, you'll need a four-letter synonym for 'liberate' + the phonetic spelling of the last letter of the alphabet + the common abbreviation of 'railway'. Got it? Now you can swear!

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
9 of 48  -   Report This Post

old gal

20th April 2011, 17:19
Good lord Caravaggio - I would never have got that clue without your help!!!! You must have a much more devious mind than me.... Am still struggling with a few but will persevere and shout later for help. Nice warm day here but am suffering after small operation last week - not saying what but am sitting down very gingerly.......
10 of 48  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 17