CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mallymcl

14th April 2011, 06:48
Alrighty,

Taking my newfound knowledge from yesterday I'm going to have a look at today's.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24138974/smh1404.pdf

Here is the crossword for those that want to have a look.

Looking at it initially for a start

1 across is pretty hard

1 down - maybe valet, don't see how hesitation fits in there

OK so I should be able to get 22across "Very angry with debt note hidden in animal skins"

so clearly hidden means a sort of anagram of either letters of "animal skins" or a word for animal skins (pelt, hide etc althoguh i can't think of a 7 letter one).

debt note will have to be IOU or Bond

very angry has to be irate,ire,fury,furious OMG furious it's so weird i ALWAYS how I get them, typing them out haha a START!
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

samak

14th April 2011, 06:54
1 across is pretty hard

Try an anagram.

1 down - maybe valet, don't see how hesitation fits in there

Not valet. Hint: hesitation in cryptics is normally "er"
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

mallymcl

14th April 2011, 07:20
Since furious, I've gotten

12 down - dinosaurs (i know D is 500 in numerals and they are early creatures, not sure about rest)

19 across Tsar as form of rule and it's in the words although what part of the sentence is telling me to look in the words???

20 down Usurp - take by force fits and the word isfound in Nauru surplus but why is 'goods' at the end??

1 down- thanks for the 'er' that's a good one to know. as for looks after another vehicle, i only know driver, chauffeur, valet. Says 'He' so thinking man's name in there somewhere. Thinking car name possible too that is also man's name with er in it...hmm
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

mallymcl

14th April 2011, 07:25
spoil the can with one drink is Mar-tin-i !!! yesss
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrisg

14th April 2011, 07:28
1 across is an anagram of "the much deeper" and 1 down is a 3 letter name of the most popular form of transport + er
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

samak

14th April 2011, 07:28
12 down - dinosaurs (i know D is 500 in numerals and they are early creatures, not sure about rest)

D (500) in o (sphere) s (south) ur (ancient city) with "as" around it

19 across Tsar as form of rule and it's in the words although what part of the sentence is telling me to look in the words???

former ruler = tsar. "about" is the hint that it is in the previous words.

20 down Usurp - take by force fits and the word is found in Nauru surplus but why is 'goods' at the end??

No idea - maybe the setter thought it would be more obscure with the extra word.

1 down- thanks for the 'er' that's a good one to know. as for looks after another vehicle, i only know driver, chauffeur, valet. Says 'He' so thinking man's name in there somewhere. Thinking car name possible too that is also man's name with er in it...hmm

Hint: try putting the comma after the word "after", instead of "vehicle".
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

mallymcl

14th April 2011, 07:29
inspires friends after an insipid start - ANIMATES so mates is after and friends but how is ani an insipid start?maybe before somethign is animated it is usually a sketch and hence insipid???
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

samak

14th April 2011, 07:31
The start of "insipid" is i so an+i
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

mallymcl

14th April 2011, 07:45
12 across, DODGE! awesome

9 of 12  -   Report This Post

samak

14th April 2011, 07:48
Careful Mally, you'll become a hopeless crossword addict at this rate !
10 of 12  -   Report This Post