CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tony

6th April 2011, 10:32
Any EVers out there to guide me to the endgame?
I have the 8 clashes, and both the across & down letters PLUS 17 twice, result in an anagram of the previous Friday.
The extra letters from all the clues lead me to understand that the highlighting moves at 90 (degrees) from the 'first down clue'.
Finally does the X in the centre of the grid
signify that the two letters in 1d are used twice or that the thematic phrase is duplicated?
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

laura

6th April 2011, 17:32
Hi Tony.
This week has been a bit of a slog. I've still only got four of the clashes. As you say the x is a little bemusing, but I also get the same feeling about it as you. If I get any further when I've had some more time on it I shall post again. I've not had much time to play with it this week, plumbing in a new bathroom suite is not as much fun as I thought!
Laura.x
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

6th April 2011, 18:59
Hi Laura

Thanks for your message. If I have any brainstorms I'll also come back on here and let you know.
Good luck with the plumbing.
Tony x
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

6th April 2011, 19:34
Hi again Laura. I've just noticed that in my original post I cited 1d for the double duty letter, instead of 17a!
I see the letter clashes as being-
Across P I O A L R F L
Down R O L F A I O P

These letters, with the double use of 17a both spell out APRIL FOOL.
The extra letters make-
DOWN FROM FIRST CELL THEN TURN NINETY AT EACH CLASH and I'm beginning to think that the joke is on us and we are the 'fools'

Tonyx
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

newboy

6th April 2011, 20:33
Tony
Is the hightlighed route supposed to represent anything or is it just part of the joke? I started at cell 1 and went to 17 and visited all the other blank cells and ended back at 17. But I do not see any pattern to my route. Thanks
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

6th April 2011, 22:14
Newboy

I did what I thought was indicated by the instruction namely start from the first cell and turn at right angles (ninety) through each clashing cell.
I cannot make anything of the 'route'and it is all very frustrating.
I'll sleep on it and see if something enters my subconcious.
Come back if you have any inspiration.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

manicmary

7th April 2011, 10:12
The latest post confirms my thoughts about the clashing letters, but the grid is still quite empty so I am still missing at least 1/2 the clashes. Can someone please tell me the numbers of the clues that have the clashes before I go really potty.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

tony

7th April 2011, 10:16
Manicmary

The clashes are at-
10a/3d, 12a/8d, 1d/17a, 1d/31a, 38a/24d
31a/28d, 19a/8d,39a/28d
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

manicmary

7th April 2011, 12:07
Thank you Tony, will try again!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

laura

7th April 2011, 17:32
Hi again.
I'm still tearing ku hair out with this, so I think charybdis has won! I just wondered if you had tryed continuing the route after you arrive back at 17a? Just a thought.
Any more inspiration and I shall be back.
Laura.x
10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 961