CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

29th March 2011, 11:42
I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

It’s been suggested that solutions are withheld till 5 pm to allow others to have a go.

1. Used to lay claim to a great deal (4)
2. Listen to tenors heartlessly press on another theatre performer (5,7)
3. Do old-fashioned clean vocal (4)
4. Byzantine saints undo the complete details of any matter (3,3,4)
5. A leading advisory group mainly on the right (10)
1 of 48  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th March 2011, 11:55
i have a 9 letter word that seems to fit clue 5.
2 of 48  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th March 2011, 12:06
sorry jolan, i get it now.
3 of 48  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

29th March 2011, 12:06
I agree Trevor
4 of 48  -   Report This Post

xx

29th March 2011, 12:11
2- heart surgeon , 3- char, -4 ins and outs
5 astarboard
5 of 48  -   Report This Post

terry

29th March 2011, 12:17
Jolan,

A few of think it would be a fun idea to run a sort of rolling “devise a clue for this answer” competition. What we have in mind is this:

A chosen person will act as judge and give a “crossword answer.” They will invite all-comers to come up with a suitable “clue”. A cut off time/date for replies to be posted will be given, say, 5.00pm one week today. At that time the judge announces which clue presented he/she deems to be the best. Virtual prizes can be liberally doled out. The judge does not have to justify their choice in any way if they don’t want to. The winner now becomes the judge and provides a new “answer” for the following weeks competition. The same thread can be used continually. That’s it.

So why I am telling you this. We feel that to have any chance of a successful launch the competition must be kicked off by somebody who is respected ,considered fair and reasonable and not weighed down by enemies. That rules most of us out - but not you. Please say you love the idea and agree to start things off. All you have to do is come up with a snappy title for a new thread, paraphrase my second paragraph and away we go.

6 of 48  -   Report This Post

the joker

29th March 2011, 12:23
XX Are you incapable of reading instructions and adhering to them!!
7 of 48  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th March 2011, 12:36
what about 'chain reaction' for the 1st thingy AND the snappy title(radio 4 used it but who's ever gonna know).

XX. whats no.1 then smartypants?
8 of 48  -   Report This Post

mamya

29th March 2011, 12:36
Nooooooooooooo

Ihad some answers ready for 5o'clock, not fair.
9 of 48  -   Report This Post

tonyw

29th March 2011, 12:38
me too,very disappointing . Haven't got them all yet though
10 of 48  -   Report This Post