CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jerry

31st May 2009, 18:54
I have completed this,but there is one clue still
giving me some grief. 24d Die to get into exercise
pit h once upon a time(6)I think the answe is
PLONGE which is a Spenserian version of PLUNGE,
die to get is LONG into PE,and that is all I can
think of.
Jerry
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

bob

31st May 2009, 20:30
Hi pal,
I have only done a few clues (as usual)and still truggling with 1A which must end in mur but haven't a clue what first two letters are with whole word meaning shade?. I did read 18D and was confused. I think you are correct with PLONGE as a version of PLUNGE which can mean to pitch. Could there be a letter missing from clue???
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

jerry

31st May 2009, 22:37
Mon Ami,
The answer is LEMUR le(the)mur(wall) I think shade refers to lemur as a roman god of the dead.
I hope this helps,
Au revoir.
Jerry
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

bob

1st June 2009, 09:04
Morning Jerry,
Another very hot and sunny day in SW France and another Public Holiday!!! I knew my thinkig was right but had not picked up on shade meanings!!!
Thanks again. Nose back to the grindstone before lunch.
Au revoir,
Bob
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

alan

1st June 2009, 22:52
Hi Jerry/Bob,

Thanks for the tip about PLONGE (like Bob, I'm still not sure why the clue has 'PIT H' and not 'PITCH'). Finally finished this today, like last week, after some toil !

Our weather is almost as good as Bob's - for a change !

Alan
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

brian

1st June 2009, 23:56
It is pitch in the online version...

Die to get into exercise pitch once upon a time (6)

(Not at all impressed by Paul McKenna's grid efforts.....)
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

bob

2nd June 2009, 08:21
Mon ami,
Off for fun and frolics today and annoyed that Mephisto 2544 is unfinished.Bottom right hand side is causing me grief!!!! 23D I have ?A?AM? and 15D I have ?LO?E?E?? but nothing I can think of for a sense of unity (ending in NESS?)fits the wordplay!!! HELP!!!
Merci
God it is hot!!!!
Bob
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

jerry

2nd June 2009, 10:02
Bob,
15d CESS is a military billett around LOSE miss and N note gives CLOSENESS.23d is PALAMA,the webbing on an aquatic bird's foot. I can see the power P but the rest I got by default of solving the across
clues.Hope this wraps it up for you.
It is hot here but with a beautiful breeze,
Au revoir,
Jerry
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

jerry

2nd June 2009, 10:05
I should have thanked Alan and Brian for input on this.
Note to Alan,have you done the AZED?
J
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

alan

2nd June 2009, 17:16
Hi Jerry,

Yes, I've just finished the Azed. Again, a little less work than the Mephisto - my brain seems to be a little more in tune with that of the Azed compiler. Do you know if Azed solutions can be submitted using a grid printed from their online site (or even submitted directly online)?
I generally submit the Mephisto, but never the Azed.

Thanks to Brian for pointing out the printing error in the newspaper grid. I wasn't aware that there was an online version of the Mephisto !

Thanks to all for the advice and input.
Alan
10 of 14  -   Report This Post