CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cafca

25th March 2011, 13:51
What is the point of Araucaria? His crosswords are just an exercise in Google & Wikipedia skills. He veers between the downright obvious to the height of obscurity. Even when I can finish them, I wouldn't want anyone to know lest they think I'm as anal as this self-satisfied pillock. It isn't Colin Dexter is it?
1 of 33  -   Report This Post

kev

25th March 2011, 14:37
I agree 100%.I always finish them as they are never particularly difficult but I'm always left with the impression that he's a rather narcissistic person whose aim is to display his own cleverness.There are better and more challenging Guardian compilers.
2 of 33  -   Report This Post

wendy

25th March 2011, 17:31
Well personally I'm horrified to read the above two comments. In answer to the first, you should know that he is Reverend John Galbraith Graham. He is THE top compiler of the Guardian and his puzzles are certainly not completed with the use of Google and Wikipedia.

From what you've said it's quite clear that you rarely, if ever, manage to complete one!

I take great exception to these remarks.

Have either of you ever completed one of his Perimetricals?

As for Kev, if you ALWAYS finish them then you're a clever git.

And a lucky one!

In all my years of using the internet I have never felt compelled to reply to something which is quite obviously twaddle - I usually treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Except in this case.

3 of 33  -   Report This Post

the joker

25th March 2011, 17:34
Good for you Wendy.
Dicks like these two need putting in their place.
4 of 33  -   Report This Post

cafca

25th March 2011, 17:41
Thanks Wendy. Yes, I do often finish them. To get so exercised over such a comment says more about you than about Araucaria.
5 of 33  -   Report This Post

kev

25th March 2011, 18:16
Wendy-I'm not a clever (git?)-new word for me,but I doubt if it's complimentary.But I'm american,getting my daily Guardian in New York.Am not sure why you consider his calling to be relevant to this discussion or does the fact that he's a priest absolve him from criticism?I stand by my remarks-his crosswords are not difficult once you've solved the key clue and I find them fussy and boring.This one took me as long as I took to drink my coffee in my local breakfast haunt without access to a computer and I'm sure there are many people like me who did it equally quickly.
6 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2011, 18:23
Cafca,you don't want people to know when you have finihed them????
well then shut your face and piss off.
why post in the 1st place(why even do them)?

i don't revere the man but he has the respect of his peers, nuff said
© wee jock
7 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2011, 18:28
kev,
fair enough,i too try not to google/wiki on any crossword unlike,it seems Cafca.
8 of 33  -   Report This Post

tony

25th March 2011, 18:48
Araucaria may not be the setter he once was but he is 90 for goodness sake.

His alphabetical puzzles are a treat and google & wikipedia are unlikely to be of much help.
9 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2011, 18:54
Tony,
you less words yet more charm than i ever could,well said.
10 of 33  -   Report This Post