CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sorcha

8th March 2011, 11:49
Those before those before the pictures.
(5) --n-s.
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

sorcha

8th March 2011, 17:40
I think my local paper has blundered with the clue!
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

emf

8th March 2011, 17:42
shorts i think?
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

sorcha

8th March 2011, 17:53
That's a letter too many, emf. I'll post the paper's solution tomorrow. Just now, I am stuck!
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

sorcha

9th March 2011, 01:13
The answer to the puzzle is "nines". I cant see where this answer comes from. Help???
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

9th March 2011, 01:23
My reading of it is this:
In a deck of cards, Jack, Queen and King are the 'picture' cards. The ones before those are tens, and the ones before those are nines.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

sorcha

9th March 2011, 01:33
I do follow your line of reasoning, Bullfrog, but I am not convinced, albeit you make a brave attempt at a solution. My opinion is that there is a blunder in the clue, otherwise the expertise on this forum would have cracked it hours ago! I do wonder what the paper shall say in the morning!
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

9th March 2011, 01:38
I admit it's an attempt to rationalise what may be a mistake or just a poor clue -- obviously I don't know what puzzle it is or the normal level of clueing. Sadly some of the locals can be quite sloppy.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

sorcha

9th March 2011, 01:49
I agree, Bullfrog. This crossword appeared on Tuesday in the Dundee Courier and Advertiser and the difficulty level in this newspaper is at a lower level compared to Times/Indie/ Guardian, etc. Unless I am completely dense, I think they have blunderd.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

9th March 2011, 02:24
Bullfrog, I think your reasoning is sound. When I read the one before the one before, I thought it might be a misprint, but that makes sense to me when you explain it.

P
10 of 12  -   Report This Post