CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

26th February 2011, 15:01
Last one.
Talking sweet talk in Canada (8) m?o?e?a?

Looks like the town of Moose Jaw (5,3) but I don't get the wordplay.

I don't like the recent setting of this Crossie. Quotations have crept in. See 13A. Personally I can't see the point in a CRYPTIC crossword.. Either you have the ref or you don't.

Then there's the 'general knowledge' type clue. 13A requires one to have the cast of Hamlet available. Unless I'm missing the wordplay? I don't see any.

Then there's 19A. General knowledge again. No wordplay at all. You either know the author and his works or you don't.

I'm not including the the 3 (my moan) clues as I don't wish to spoil it for others still hard at it.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrisg

26th February 2011, 15:06
Jolan - I think Moose refers to sounding like Mousse - a sweet, and Jaw is to talk
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

tonyw

26th February 2011, 15:10
MOOSEJAW
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

jolan

26th February 2011, 15:11
By George Chrisg, I think you've got it! I feel sure you're spot on. I like the mousse 'sounds like' moose (never twigged this)and I'd seen talk = jaw. Thanks a lot. You're a wizard.

I still don't like it though. Moose Jaw is Moose Jaw according to it's own official website and numerous other Canadian ones.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

tonyw

26th February 2011, 15:12
sorry chrisg you got there before me.
My atlas has moose jaw as 2 words though,but sure it's correct.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

jolan

26th February 2011, 15:12
And thanks Tonyw.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

tonyw

26th February 2011, 15:17
jolan have you seen the cartoon on page 179?
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

jolan

26th February 2011, 15:22
LOL Tonyw. Yep. It's a good one. Reminds me of myself, on many occasions. Since you have the mag, what do you think of 13A, 17A and 19D, and my comments. I've got them but......

Unless, of course, I've missed something in 17A that would make it a cryptic clue (solvable without a Hamlet ref book or general knowledge of Hamlet. It can always be looked up when one has the answer).
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

tonyw

26th February 2011, 15:28
sorry I haven't even started the crossword yet.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

jolan

26th February 2011, 15:31
Good luck Tonyw. It's pretty stiff this month. And Moose Jaw is definitely 2 words. Happy solving.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post