CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

19th May 2009, 16:28
Palme, D'or
(palmed OR)
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

diana

19th May 2009, 16:43
Thanks you two,the last one is 49d Boar's belly's eaten according to Falstaff,maybe ? (5)
Must surely be opera or I need Tipex !

I'm still not getting how the compiler came up with these last two clues though ?

Have finished if anyone is stuck
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

19th May 2009, 17:13
you are right with Opera (Falstaff is an Opera by Verdi). Boars belly gives oa (middle letters of boar). According to, gives per (as per usual, as per the rulebook? stretcing it a bit maybe).
As for the other one "secretly gripped" is Palmed(like when a magician palms a coin etc)
men = or. or is a regiment in the army (I think)
maybe someone can clear that up.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

the joker

19th May 2009, 17:34
Men in the army are known as OR (other ranks ) ie non promoted soldiers. Sorry to be pedantic its not at all like me !!
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

19th May 2009, 17:41
no no, I'm pleased you cleared that up. I had a bit of a google and couldn't find the military connection.
Even tho I've known for ages that men can mean or, I realised the I just took it for granted.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

diana

19th May 2009, 17:57
Thanks again Trevor and the Joker

At first the only answer I could come up with was false rib......and tried to connect that to men.....and the cinema..you don't want to know what I came up with !!
Anyway thanks again, off to cook.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

19th May 2009, 19:48
Enjoy your meal Diana, (spare ribs)?
I still have 5 or six to go on this Xword, but I can't find the damn thing at the moment.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

ozman

20th May 2009, 09:18
Good Morming all!
10 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

20th May 2009, 11:21
Morning Ozman.
11 of 11  -   Report This Post