CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ruth

14th February 2011, 16:16
I've got the author, nickname & verse but a few of the individual clues are baffling me.
5a Mistakenly deduce how nothing is lost in plant(7)
38a Round grub on top of azalea (4)
6d Department's friendly director took great risks(5)
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

ruth

14th February 2011, 16:18
For non EV fans I should have mentioned that clues can have superfluous letters.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

tony

14th February 2011, 16:29
Hi Ruth - an enjoyable puzzle.
5a CUDWEED - plant..anagram Deduce how less o (nothing) & H (extra letter)

38a ROTA - Round....Root (grub) less o (extra letter) + A (Azalea)

6d DICED - took risks...D (Department) Nice (friendly) less N (extra letter + D (director)
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

adrian

14th February 2011, 17:04
I've got the author, nickname & verse but a few of the individual clues are baffling me.
5a Mistakenly deduce how nothing is lost in plant(7)
38a Round grub on top of azalea (4)
6d Department's friendly director took great risks(5)

Dear Ruth,
I've managed to finish it (I think). 5a is an anagram of 'deduce(h)(o)w'; 'nothing'is the (o), and (h) is the extra letter; the plant is one you wouldn't want.
38a: 'round' is the definition (a noun), 'grub' is in the verbal sense, and you drop one of two 'o's' in a 4-letter synonym; this is the extra letter.'Top of azalea' is the final letter; the solution is a Latin word for 'wheel' but in English no longer has that literal sense.

6d There is a 4-letter French département from which you remove the letter 'u' (the extra one)and insert 'i' for 'independent'. The definition is 'assistant'.

Phew. Can you help me in return with 10d? I think I know the answer (the proper noun referred to in the intro), but I can't see how 'Christian' comes in. Or is it Christian D(i)or?

4 of 9  -   Report This Post

tony

14th February 2011, 17:25
adrian there is no need to repeat the whole question and answer- just add your reply.

re 10d Yes Dior (christian) less i (extra letter) + E (English)

Good luck
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

shoni

14th February 2011, 22:24
Can you please explain how you get 17ac , 25 ac and 19d. I have answers for them but i cannot work them out in order to get the superfluous letters needed.
Thank you
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

tony

14th February 2011, 22:35
Hi shoni
17a OUT in HEL(L)(unfinished miserable state)
spare letter U
25a LA (start) W(ith) P(arking) PET (offended feeling) - W -extra letter
19d LAG (convict) anag MALE less L (extra)
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

shoni

14th February 2011, 22:55
Many thanks Toni for confirming and explaining fully the answers which I had. You have been a great help. I can sleep quietly tonight.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

newboy

16th February 2011, 21:59
Tony/Shoni

for 25A I worked out the clue as follows:

law ( a start in hunting)+ p(parking)+ pet (offended feeling)
As you say w is the superfluous letter leaving lappet (fold).

9 of 9  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 954