CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sandy

13th February 2011, 14:43
10 A. Ruin a little drive from a dwelling that's old (8) -i----i-
13 D. Work in EU covering much of S Pacific island's unprocessed asphalt (9)
u---a----
Ta!
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

film fan

13th February 2011, 14:50
10 ac = DISHABIT,an old term for to drive out of a dwelling.
13d = UINTAHITE ,almost Tahiti in a re-WORKing of IN and EU.
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

sandy

13th February 2011, 14:55
Filmfan, thanks - even if my crossword-solving skills aren't improving, my vocabulary is!
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

wetblanket

14th February 2011, 12:22
Your solving skills will not improve while you continue to allow others to do the solving for you. Keep your unfinished crosswords until the results are published, then work backwards so that you can see what the setter meant. Do not submit crosswords "completed" by being told the answers on this site. It would be dishonourable.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

sallyw

14th February 2011, 13:05
WEtblanket by name and nature?
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

the joker

14th February 2011, 13:18
Are you advocating the closure of this site Wetblanket?
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

sallyw

14th February 2011, 15:10
I have learned so much about solving crosswords and word play from the (mostly) pleasant and very helpful people on this site. I have had wordplay explained to me and obscure clues and answers broken down and explained most succinctly. I have also been entertained by some of the more esoteric threads ans subjects. Long may it continue. Anyone who is not happy with this is not obliged to visit the site, so I dn't knw why Wetblanket has a problem.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

wetblanket

17th February 2011, 03:06
I am advocating a fair contest between solver and setter, particularly on prize crosswords. It would be perfectly in order for all sorts of help and answers to be given on non-competition crosswords, as far as I am concerned. I simply do not believe that people who are seeking answers for competition puzzles are doing so purely in a spirit of intellectual enquiry. I am a disciple of Kant, not of Bentham. Submitting a puzzle even partially solved by somebody else lacks moral rigour. Even,the sight of husband and wife teams listed as winners makes me feel slightly uneasy.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

the joker

17th February 2011, 03:36
I have read your riposte to my question,and frankly I am not interested in whether you favour the philosophy of Kant over that of Bentham or vice versa.
My question to you was simple ie whether you were advocating the closure of this site,which you have not answered.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

sallyw

17th February 2011, 15:59
@Wetblanket. I have never entered a competition crossword that I haven't completed without help, in fact even when I complete them alone I do not enter them, as despite what you think I actually do them for the enjoyment. As for the philosophical musings of right and wrong I repeat that no one is without sin as someone or other on this earth would define it. So it ill behoves you or anyone else to judge. Also if you find such behaviour so morally offensive then why bother to look at this site at all? Unless it's out of some sense of moral superiority in which case I refer you back to the earlier part of my post.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post